Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1946 Booker T. Washington (UPDATED PHOTOS) Help me out here!

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
baer2ymcmb
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  12:19 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add baer2ymcmb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello, here's another post regarding the 1946 booker t washington half dollar coin. the last I posted was a little sketchy, I couldnt get the photos to upload right then when I did I put too many I believe. here are a few updated photos of the coin I took earlier during the sunset. hope these are better quality. what im trying to figure here is a possible value of the coin, and possible grade of the coin if I tried selling it via the web(ebay,heritage,coin community) or if I were to take it into a coin shop here in utah. The reason im asking and posting here on these forums prior to taking them into a shop or putting them up for auction online is because im trying to educate myself aswell as my fiance about these coins so I dont go in head first with something I know nothing about. I just want a general idea/perspective/opinion from other coin collectors. is this coin even rare? worth ANYTHING? and would this coin make the grade EF-40 you think? any and all input/opinions are appreciated!! and if you think I could do a better job with photos or need a diffrent angle, let me know and I will gladly take some. (:(:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8994 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  12:36 am  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

Thats a pretty good ballpark for values of coins. eBay completed auctions are great too.

The bad news is out of the classic commems I believe BT Washington are the most common, but the good news is it definitely has value. Id guess probably somewhere in the 20-30 range on eBay which would be your best bet other than a local shop if they make a good offer. Dont be scared to get a few quotes before you decide what to do which I know is harder with a raw coin since you cant usually just make a call, email might work though with pictures.

Ill let someone else guess the grade though thats better at that than me
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baer2ymcmb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
awww only 20-30? well atleast it's up to that rarther than say five dollars!!..why do I see this exact coin in shops running for 100-200$++? is it because they have been professionally graded and passed the test? lol im confused.. mine looked better than the ones I seen in the coin shops that were being sold for 100$+ usd..anywhich way, thanks for the inoput basebal21, we appreciate your opinion and info!(:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8994 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  12:57 am  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Baer was the coin in the shop in a slab? If they were professionally graded at the upper end this coin can fetch a few hundred to over 1000. For that price the shop is saying its an MS 66 or better or they have high prices for what they deem a 65. Shops all price differently and some will over price everything or certain items quite a bit. You could get a 65 version of that on eBay for 60-80 bucks from what the completed showed on a brief check.

Some people will disagree with me but when it comes to raw unslabbed coins I could really care less what a dealer grades it at. Just because he says its a 66 or 67 doesnt mean if you sent it in to be slabbed and graded it would get that grade. I often feel they over grade their coins anyway when trying to sell and if they were so confident they would have sent it in to be graded as it would raise the price and make it easier to sell. So personally they can tell me its a 66 all day long but unless its in a PCGS or NGC slab Im not paying a 66 price for it. Theres just to many sources to get coins now with the internet where its very easy to shop around unless its an exceptionally rare coin.

Again people might disagree with me but personally once a coin gets into the $100+ range I will only buy slabbed coins anyway. To much risk for me for raw coins and I like the slabbed better for a couple reasons. Theyre easier to sell if I need to and they hold their value better, and I like to be able to handle them and look at them which the slab lets me do without harming the coin. Also a heads up PCGS coins will carry a premium over other coins right now so all things being equal a 66 from PCGS will be more expensive than one from NGC. NGC carries the 2nd best premium and ANACS has a small premium. ICG has virtually no premium but I would suggest sticking with PCGS or NGC if you go the slabbed route (which again will anger some people) but they are the two biggest and are basically cornering the market at this point.
Edited by basebal21
06/09/2012 01:00 am
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baer2ymcmb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow. interesting. thanks for your input and that bit of information right there basebal21!! looks like im learning more and more every minute im on this site..really interesting stuff too (:(: think I found myself a new hobby here aswell lol..so far I got this coin is worth 20-30$, no verbal(internet) grade yet but I'm still happy. thanks again
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8994 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  01:12 am  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Baer I got sucked into it the same way, gets very addicting. Started with 1 and next thing I knew I had a lot more lol. You may be able to get more for your coin, assuming its unaltered it does look good I was basically just quoting the eBay going rate. eBay is pretty brutal on raw coins as everyone is skeptical theyre fake.

It really is a fun hobby and hope it bring you joy in the future. Just dont go grabbing any coins I had my eye on lol.

Oh and almost forgot whatever you do dont clean any valuable coins as it will destroy their value
Edited by basebal21
06/09/2012 01:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  01:55 am  Show Profile Check cc99999's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was minted at the three mints (Philly, Denver, and San Fran) for several years. 1946 is the most common, but mintages get very low in some years. If you see this coin selling for $100 or more dollars, odds are its either professionally graded and MS-66 or above- or its from a scarcer date. Also, keep in mind, no two coins are alike and that it takes experience to be able to properly evaluate any coin.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  02:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baer2ymcmb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting! thanks cc99999 (: nice little bit there.. hehe.. me and my fiance are learning ALOT from you guys!!
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20361 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2012  11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please, one thread per topic and do not cross post.

This thread has been moved to the appropriate forum.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05