Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Booker T at Mardi Gras

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2003 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  3:31 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

In 1947, the Bebee Stamp and Coin Company of Chicago, Illinois -- a large, well-known dealer at the time -- took an unknown number of brown kraft paper 2x2 envelopes and had them printed as shown below.

Inside the envelopes were placed Booker T. Washington commemorative half-dollars which were sold by Bebee's during Mardi Gras in New Orleans in 1947. The "packaged" souvenir coins sold for $1.25 (you can just about make it out under the black redaction at the top of the back of the envelope shown below). The Mardi Gras selling price was 10 cents more than what Bebee's typically charged for single coins (based on the company's contemporary advertisements), but such a small mark-up isn't too bad for a special souvenir from Mardi Gras! (Mardi Gras Fun Fact: 1947 was the first year that floats were part of the annual Mardi Gras parade.)

The coin shown is a 1946 example from the Philadelphia Mint. It appears to have spent a fair amount of time in the souvenir envelope as it shows obverse and reverse toning; it's now in an inert flip. Held in hand, the coin shows nice underlying luster on both sides. You may ask "Why weren't 1947 issue coins used in the envelopes?" And I would answer, "Mardi Gras was held in February in 1947 and the Mint did not strike 1947-dated BTW coins until November."

Bebee's was not an official distributor of BTW coins in 1947, but would become so in 1948.

Anthony Swiatek, noted US commemorative coin dealer, historian and author, has stated that the simple design of the envelope may have lead to counterfeits. While I can't be 100% positive about the authenticity of my example (I wasn't alive in 1947 to buy it from Bebee's ), I do have a high degree of confidence in it as it was purchased from a long-time dealer who is familiar with the pieces and believes it to be an original.

Enjoy!

1946 Booker T. Washington Memorial Half-Dollar -- Obverse

1946 Booker T. Washington Memorial Half-Dollar -- Reverse

1947 Bebee's Mardi Gras Envelope for BTW Half-Dollar -- Front

1947 Bebee's Mardi Gras Envelope for BTW Half-Dollar -- Back

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Valued Member
Canada
212 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Islander2010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice piece of history, thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
548 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  5:07 pm  Show Profile Check Merc Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Merc Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am starting to like the commemorative series of coins more and more every day. I think it is the history buff in me that really appreciates what the coins represent. Thanks for continuing to educate commems.
Valued Member
United States
458 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverCoinBoi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live right outside New Orleans. Thanks for sharing :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4256 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2012  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding commems.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
21467 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2012  1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2012  3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2012  10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add boguilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any idea how often coins with this original envelope are on the market?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2012  10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bog the coin is on the market a lot but I've never once seen the envelope except from commems
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3196 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  11:03 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I have to look for this too!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8751 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bag and the coin together should be worth more than the total value of the individual items.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5268 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always learn something new from your posts!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2003 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2012  08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bogulliams: While I've seen most of the original holders I've presented in my various posts multiple times, the only time I've encountered this particular BTW/Bebee's envelope was the time I purchased it. So, I have to label it as relatively scarce. It's the type of thing, however, that you might glance into a dealer's case at a show and see three of them in his/her case -- it's impossible to predict how/when you will find one. Now that you're aware it's out there, the key to finding one is diligent searching.
Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Edited by commems
06/14/2012 08:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4256 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2012  8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the key to finding one is diligent searching.

Well stated and a perfect closing statement.

In the hunt for great treasure nothing comes easy ... the advantage favors the knowledgeable folks ... and knowledge is the key.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2012  8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pairunoyd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is so cool Commem!

You should read his autobiography, Up From Slavery. Gave me all kinds of respect for the man and his ability to the best he could with what he had.

After I read the book I just had to have one of these coins.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05