Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Future Value of 2012 Canadian Pennies

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  1:50 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add STAT303954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What does you guys think the value of an uncirculated 2012 Canadian penny will be worth in 50 yrs? I think this year of penny is somewhat special since it is the last year of production.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
566 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jpaiva83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 cents?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As it is the last year it will likely be hoarded like crazy. I doubt it would rise much in value unless it is a particularly small mintage (this I do not know).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1484 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dialog_gvf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

One cent less than my two cents?

A basic raw uncirculated 2012 will never have any significant monetary value. If you can get ICCS to grade one MS-68, then you'd have something.

Learn More...
Canada
4033 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  4:09 pm  Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$0.00 (it will be rounded down at the cash register). Look how much BU rolls of 1964 1-cent coins are worth now (people hoarded them because of the effigy change)....
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.ca/SPP-Ottawa
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Islander2010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True, I still regularly pull shiny AU+ 1964 pennies out of rolls when CRH'ing, so it will probably never have any real numismatic value...
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  8:12 pm  Show Profile Check barriecarson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barriecarson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the posts above, everyone and there dogs will be hoarding these pennies. In 10 - 15 years the market will be flooded with 2012 pennies
Learn More...
Canada
4033 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2012  9:21 pm  Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a sealed mint bag of 1964 1-cent coins. Face value of $60 (6,000 coins) - cost me $80 for the bag (which provides a 50 year analogy). Actually, the copper content was worth more than the numismatic value I paid.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=120073

The only 2012 1-cent coins that will be worth anything in the future will be gem strikes (MS-67) and errors.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.ca/SPP-Ottawa
Pillar of the Community
Canada
835 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2012  05:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennysaver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More recently, look at the last year of paper dollar bills -- everybody hoarded them like crazy till they're now the most common nongenerally-circulated bill there is. My local coinshop dealer passes them out in change.
Valued Member
Canada
473 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2012  12:14 pm  Show Profile Check JeyRey2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JeyRey2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with most of you! 2012 hoarders all over the place which is why I have 40 rolls of 2011 pennies. Most of those will be melted down by the mint and we already in cirucualtion when the news of the demise of the penny was released. The question is how many 2012 rolls will be hoarded and how many pennies. They mint in the hundreds of millions so even a reserved estimate of 25 million pennies hoared will not add much value. I say 2 cents per 50 years in MS60 condition.
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2012  12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Center Pin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also just about every one will be near uncirculated.
Valued Member
Canada
321 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2012  12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Imohtep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to mention that the last million pennies minted this year are being put in to special collectors sets. Basically defeating the purpose of hoarding any 2012 cents.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4356 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2012  1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As it is the last year it will likely be hoarded like crazy.

Anytime something is just released or production is stopping, everyone always holds onto them, thinking "one day these will be worth a fortune"

The coins that are usually worth a fortune are the one that nobody even thinks to collect.
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4887 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2012  02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's where virtually all 2012 cents will end up in 50 years
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=121638
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1792 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2012  12:40 pm  Show Profile Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Canada
470 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1188howest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rarest and most collectable will be sealed boxes from the mint.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05