Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sons of Liberty

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1464 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2012  7:00 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I thought I had this one nailed, a medal issued with a numismatic cover. Probably not:

Now the reason the pics aren't too sharp is that this is sealed inside the plastic. It's free to move, but it's not a capsule as we know them. Secondly, it has a date, 1972, which AFAIK the numismatic medals did not have. And why date it '72 if it's a bicentennial?
So, it's not as ordinary as I thought, but what exactly is it?

Bob

I want to own more medals than a four star general. Give generously
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2012  10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Funny Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few of these myself. George Washington, Paul Revere... Hope this helps...http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-DATED-...em20bd895fd6
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1464 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2012  04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, that's fantastic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1983 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2012  1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The eBay listing referenced above has a number of inaccuracies in it (unfortunately, a common occurrence for that particular seller) -- the medals are not antique-finished, they're not layered in gold and they weren't a Smithsonian Institution program. Here's a bit of accurate info on your medal and the series of which it was a part.

The medal you have was not part of a philatelic-numismatic cover (PNC). This medal was sold two ways: in a PNC and individually in a black plastic case. You can always tell the difference between the two by checking the medal for a date. Those sold in the PNC were not dated, those sold in the plastic case were. Your medal bears the date "1972" and so it was one of the cased medals.

These medals were sponsored by American Revolution Bicentennial Administration (ARBA) and were struck by the US Mint. The ARBA medals were issued between 1972 and 1976; the bronze medals were available individually for $3.50 and in the PNC for $5.00. Beginning in 1973, the medals were also available in sterling silver; they sold for $10.00 in 1973, for $15.00 1974-76.

Washington was featured on the obverse of the medals in 1972, Patrick Henry and Samuel Adams in 1973, John Adams in 1974, Paul Revere in 1975 and Thomas Jefferson in 1976.

All of these medals are common in the US, available at just about every small or large coin show and, of course, are always available on-line.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1464 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2012  11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I was aware that these were common enough, but if they're not coated or treated in any way; what gives them the gold coloured finish? Also were they only struck in Philadelphia?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5202 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2012  11:29 am  Show Profile Check IndianGoldEagle's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These 1972 Philadelphia minted medals were also issued without the date on them. I have a PNC canceled July 4, 1972 with the medal same as yours except no date. Everything else is the same.

Check out my coins and bullion at http://usn6771.ecrater.com/index.php low prices, free shipping for CCF members.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1983 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2012  4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...but if they're not coated or treated in any way; what gives them the gold coloured finish?

It's simply the yellow colored bronze that the US Mint used for the medals (and likely a bit of toning over the years).

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05