Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Susan B. Anthony Dollars, Worth buying at the bank?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2012  03:23 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Well The title says it all, If the teller offers me SBA dollars should I buy them for a dollar?

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1134 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2012  05:29 am  Show Profile Check Pertinax's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the hope of selling them later for a profit, do you mean ?

If so, that's a judgement only you can make.

Are you happy to forego the interest you would get on an equal deposit, happy to pay for the storage, and content to make the sales effort later ?

I think they have a nice design so I would certainly hold onto a complete date set.

I think it would be worthwhile to buy a lot and save the best mint state examples and spend or return the remainder.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2012  07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take any the have. Good shape I keep them. Really bad I spend them. I figure the teller had saved them for me, I should take them so they keep saving stuff for the next time in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2012  08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a dollar is worth a dollar, so I don't see the point of the question? If you want a collectible coin, buy a nice one in uncirculated condition. seems like common sense to me.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Pillar of the Community
United States
702 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2012  09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BernieZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just yesterday found out there is a wide rim/narrow rim small date/large date variety on 1979 ? If so, that would be something to have on the Susan B
Pillar of the Community
United States
516 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2012  10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add halfhunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a teller saved them special for me I would take them all, you dont want to make it to hard or confusing on your tellers. I would check for variety 2's, and BU's, and return/spend the rest. Susan B's are still pretty common to be found, they are packaged right in with golden dollars, by the armored truck companies.
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2012  9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not so much selling them for a profit. I sold my first coins ever just the other day and that was only to trade 40% halves for 90% dimes. Also if I did buy them I would most likely never sell or spend them. I guess I meant are they collectable at all? I am not asking about if a teller held them special for me just about when I go on the rounds and hit about 10 differentt banks on the coin runs and when I ask if they have any dollar coins they are usually always golden dollars which I loath, but they had 2 SBAs the other day which I passed on. I was second guessing not buying them and was wondering if I made a huge blunder or not.

"a dollar is worth a dollar, so I don't see the point of the question? If you want a collectible coin, buy a nice one in uncirculated condition. seems like common sense to me." ok really?!? no kidding a dollar is worth a dollar? and $100 worth of dollar coins is alot more of a PIA to lug around than 5 $20 bills.
Pillar of the Community
United States
623 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2012  11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willy13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they are packaged right in with golden dollars, by the armored truck companies

Do you mean that if you buy a box of golden dollars you might find SBA scattered through out the box?

If I see a SBA in a tellers tray I buy it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2390 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2012  6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up at a coin show $550 of customer wrapped dollar coins for face value- dealer wanted to unload so he didn't have to carry them. The lot was all SBA and SACs- no Presidentials. I found an 80S Proof, two 79P wide rims, 2 2004D SAC not intended for circulation, and some nice BU pieces with full talons worth keeping. All the ones I didn't want (nearly all) I am spending. And many cashier's are scooping up the SBAs!

Full talons on the Eagle reverse are being sought after.
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2012  6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baysinger626 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you mean that if you buy a box of golden dollars you might find SBA scattered through out the box?

Yep.

I just got 10 rolls of dollars and at least 8 of them have at least one SBA end coin. I keep the nicest ones for my whitman folder and spend the rest. Make sure to count out the coins as you and them to the cashier so he/she doesnt think its a quarter. -happens ALL the time to me.
Edited by baysinger626
08/15/2012 6:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2012  10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baysinger626 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update.. I opened the 10 rolls and of $250, 143 of them were SBA, about 30 were Sacs and the rest were presidents. I couldnt believe how many WERENT gold! usually I get about 2 SBA per roll.
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lincolncentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SBA's are the ugliest US coin ever. Just my opinion of course...and alot of other peoples! Stores dont want to take them,banks dont like them...some people think they are worth 25 cents!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3093 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  5:13 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep them whenever I can get them. I don't keep them very long, though. My son likes to get them when the tooth fairy visits and it's fun to spend them and see the reaction on the cashier's faces...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05