Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver price going down?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  09:18 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add brbpab94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Whats the most you would spend on silver coins for 1 dollar face value 1964 and older?

Moved to Bullion forum - Sap

Pillar of the Community
Canada
834 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swrbxxx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most I would pay is spot
I seem to always buy at 90% of spot
Pillar of the Community
United States
705 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinwatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buying 1964 and earlier 90% junk silver coinage is all about the actually silver weight contained in the coin and the current spot price of silver. Obviously, the "right" price to pay is going to change constantly. Fortunately the calculations are fairly straight forward.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't pay more than the going rate for a 1oz round + premium.

Often I find that a generic round + premium is a better deal per oz than 90%.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3085 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  1:14 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I'm primarily a coin collector and not a silver stacker, it would depend on the quality of the coins. I have paid well over spot value for pre-1964 coins in AU-BU condition. If we're talking about "junk" silver, though, I try to get a close to spot a possible.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  2:16 pm  Show Profile Check jleveille's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jleveille to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My dealer charges 80% of spot for halves and smaller. About 90% for common dollars.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

-Thomas Edison
Pillar of the Community
United States
722 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OneBowl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
80% of spot for halfs and $19.56 at the moment for common dollars?
Buy em all.

To the OP, 20x face value for 90% would be a decent price target today. Inventory on 90% is down, so anything below 20x is a great deal these days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Buy em all.

Seriously. Buy everything he has, I would.

If nothing else flip it and buy for keeps with the profit.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brbpab94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about boilion per ounce
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  5:21 pm  Show Profile Check jleveille's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jleveille to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Buy em all.

I should have added per $1 face, so at $28 spot halves are $22.40 for 2 and common dollars are $25.20 He never has many of these.

I normally but 10-20 face each week.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

-Thomas Edison
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brbpab94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
are the halves the same as dimes and quarters
Pillar of the Community
1283 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add throwbackid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
20X right now is about the going rate. If you really can get silver dollars anywhere near spot that is a true "no-brainer" an easy eBay flip.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
are the halves the same as dimes and quarters

Yes, they all have the same ratio of silver weight to face value... unlike silver dollars... dimes have 0.07234 oz. of silver, quarters have 0.1808 oz. of silver, and halves have 0.3616 oz. of silver. Dollars have 0.7734 oz. of silver and not the 0.7232 oz. that one would expect from their face values.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brbpab94 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is anyone expecting silver to go up?

Thanks for all the input so far.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1437 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  6:58 pm  Show Profile Check traevin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add traevin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
brb,

As you might know, summer is considered the doldrums for silver. Typically, the price does move upwards in the autumn. Will it happen this year? With everyone's attention focused on the election and the economy- which is still sputtering- my guess is no major movement, unless it's downward. But then again, I always hope silver prices fall; ergo, my opinion will always be colored by my own built-in bias.
If you haven't noticed by now, I don't proofread veery well and I apollogize profusely. (;>D
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2012  6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is anyone expecting silver to go up?

Yes, practically all silver buyers are expecting silver to rise in price. The killer part is that none of us knows WHEN.

What we do know is that:

1) silver ores are declining in ozs. per ton
2) the cost of producing silver is rising, mostly due to higher fuel prices
3) European, UK, US, and Japanese governments have spent WAY more than they
can repay
4) fiat currencies have been and continue to be printed in increasing quantities
5) because of (4), the value of those fiat notes is declining

I suggest that what we know are sufficient reasons for trading fiat paper for silver and gold.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05