Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Precious Metals and Bullion - Gold, Silver, Copper, Platinum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Silver Eagle vs. Silver Maple Leaf

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
unholyroller
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  1:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Based on researching the various resellers of silver, it is pretty consistent that Maples have a lower premium over spot than Eagles do. Here is my question....why on earth would you buy Silver Eagles over Maples when once they are past a year old they sell for the same on the secondary market ( eBay )? It may not seem like much one coin at a time, but when we are talking 20-500 coins at a time there is a significant intial investment difference. If I am missing something here I would appreciate your views.

Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Center Pin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Patriotism... it's the same way in Canada but the higher premium is on Maples.
Edited by Center Pin
08/23/2012 2:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add afclassic87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree center pin!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  2:29 pm  Show Profile Check starbuxinvestor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add starbuxinvestor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at APMEX buy price today random year Eagles are $32.16 vs. $31.76 for Leafs. So at least with them Eagles retain a higher premium.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  2:39 pm  Show Profile Check traevin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add traevin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also see little price difference between Maples and Eagles when I used to buy both on eBay. I would end up buying whichever was cheaper, regardless of provenance.
If you haven't noticed by now, I don't proofread veery well and I apollogize profusely. (;>D
Pillar Of The Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  2:42 pm  Show Profile Check starbuxinvestor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add starbuxinvestor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess a good question would be would there be a difference if someone is trying to sell 100 or more coins versus one individual one.
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add akane17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Current year vs. previous years: The current year's releases will always have a bit of a premium in lower quantities for the fact that not everyone is buying it as an investment. Lots of people buy eagles for birth years, anniversaries, gifts etc.

Eagles vs. Maples: Like Center said, Patriotism is a reason for the difference in premiums for lower quantities, but I've noticed that once you get into the roll quantities the difference in premiums between the 2 are lowered a lot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8994 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  3:39 pm  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends where you are. If youre trying to sell 100 though you will lose almost all of the individual premiums for the sales. People expect a lower price buying in such bulk
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is my point....to me 1 or 2 or even 10 coins does not make an "investment". Once you get into "investment" quantities it would seem to go buy at the price with the lowest premiums regardless of national origin.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  3:54 pm  Show Profile Check starbuxinvestor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add starbuxinvestor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unholy judging by your last post my question would be why wouldn't you buy rounds or bars?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valid point....rounds to me are too fashion trendy...have to find the right guy/gal who likes what is on it. Bars do have some allure but seem to have a smaller "buyer base". One thing I always hold in high regard for investments is liquidability...seems all else being fair and equal....you will sell 100 one ounce coins faster than 100 one ounce bars/rounds. With the ease of reselling on the internet these days I do not consider selling to wholesalers a viable means of liquidating my investment. Even though they can handle larger quantities at a time, and are more trustworthy....the "off the radar" aspect of selling privately has strong attraction for me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  4:11 pm  Show Profile Check starbuxinvestor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add starbuxinvestor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you do a good job of explaining the premiums between the different forms 1 ounce of silver.
Edited by starbuxinvestor
08/23/2012 4:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8994 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  4:15 pm  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Once you get into "investment" quantities it would seem to go buy at the price with the lowest premiums regardless of national origin.

I agree with that as long as the country is a reputable one. US and Canada seem to be the easiest to sell in general. Once your talking about 100+ or so investment sizes I cant imagine theres really a difference between ASEs and Maples in price. The difference is small as is and some people just like ASEs better than Maples for the small price, but I think it was also a real good point people generally tend to buy coinage made in their own country
Pillar Of The Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3stooges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver Maples or Eagles? I like 'em both!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2012  7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bars and rounds are the cheapest way to buy PMs. Coins, such as ASEs and Maples, have assurance of weight and purity guaranteed by the government that produces them. In the US, ASEs usually sell for about $0.50 more per coin than Maples. It is likely the reverse in Canada. In any case, it IS possible to like and buy both of these excellent coins. I do.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2904 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2012  8:38 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maples are not always at a premium in Canada. It depends on where you go to buy them. And with internet, it's like, what's the difference where you buy them?
http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos UNC!: P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b. :)
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05