Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Best Coin investment strategies?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Brian34Jersey
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  10:13 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Brian34Jersey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

In the past year I have bought 2k in silver. I've been buying different varietys of bullion. At this point I have a roll of Morgan's and some Peace dollars. Quarters, Dimes, Silver proof sets. What im doing now is saving buckets of pocket change to eventually buy a common date gold doulble carson city eagle that go a little above melt. Also im trying to put together a roll of proof 1964 kennedys. I'm currently in my low 30's I'm looking at collecting as a thirty year investment. My question what are the best performing coins to buy?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmmm good question..

from what I have seen and heard already on this forum is a few points.

in no particular order:
1. key dates in the best condition you can afford. key dates seem to always maintain or increase in value over the years.
2. low mintage(maybe 1, A.) there are modern coins out there that just havent grown in popularity yet. take for example years ago the 09sVDB or the 1916 quarter.. very low mintages make those more rare and more valuable, but did not take off in value until much later... so you might be able to scout some modern silver coins, ie. 1955 franklin half or other lincoln wheat cents, 1931-s, 1914-d, (semi-key date)
3. gold/silver.always tricky to get into this market. people told me, you are either a collector or investor. and its hard to be both. I guess its hard because you are trading in TWO different markets. precious metls and numismatics...so when buying gold or silver as in investment, look at mintage quality and popularity. I heard there are some Morgan dollars that have low mintage and great quality, but lack the popularity which makes it a lackluster investment. do some research to see which coins are"POPULAR". for example, back in the 1870;s when the 20cent piece came out, people hated them! but overtime since they did not make them very long and carried low mintages, they became ever so popular. I think the same can apply to more modern coins, for example, the classic silver commemorative series., whom I might add, Nickelsearcher here on CCF can fill you in more on... basically these coins did not catch on that much, werent popular in its time, and what happend was more coins were melted which left very low mintages, which made these coins more popular to collectors and hence why some of these coins in high grades are in the $1000's.

im no expert, and im sure others will chime in much more detail and expertise than I can.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2566 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  12:27 pm  Show Profile Check macmercury's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add macmercury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over the years I had read many articles in investing rare coins, frankly investing in rare coins are not the most sound advises, I can at least say from experience and it can take years before one can see profits or loss. Yes, loss.

I had spoke to at least 4 rare coin investment advisers at one point in my investing strategies, and all want to sell me "Sleeper coins", or low mintage coins. I seriously thought over for a day and my intuition told me not to pour all my extra$ into "Sleeper coins", but to diversify half into PM, gold was under $300 an ounce back 2001 I believe.

My advise is beside diversifying is also learn to the series that most interest to you, and get in-depth into the knowing the varieties/errors to that series. I have found just like other here by knowing what varieties/errors to look for, for a fractions of its cost. And I can assure profit$ can be made with those.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2665 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't invest, buy what you like and enjoy, if you make money great!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2788 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Brian,
Usually I ignore such questions as yours, but something tells me you are seeking sincere advice. So I make an exception.
With a 30 year time horizon, your best bet overall is sticking to PMs, silver and perhaps a little gold as your pocket book permits.
Collector coins take years of study to learn, and what any one of us may buy is not what another collector would buy.
In general, coins which have a LONG track record, that is to say YEARS, are, IMO,
the best way to go. Recent issues from the mint are, almost without exception, doomed to become worth only bullion value.
As for collector coins, an example:
Lincoln Cents.
A 1909-s vdb? NO! Instead, find a high grade 1914-D. EVERYONE saved the first year of issue, but five years later no one bothered to save the 14-D. Sure, it does not quite have the same "buzz", but old timers will tell you that it is a LOT harder to find. These little secrets are known to long time collectors and dealers.
Ask the members here for other suggestions if you want to go the route of collector coins.
But in the end, as others have said, buy what pleases you.
Appreciation comes to those who do NOT expect a coin to appreciate.
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
503 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add beaglebailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a fan of coin investing. I look at coin collecting as a hobby not an investment vehicle. Others may disagree. I think coin investment is very unpredictable and it may take years for you to realize any substantial gain. I believe there are other more traditional investment vehicles that historically have had a much better track record. But if you must, then I would recommend that you allocate no more that 5-10% of your total investment portfolio in coins/bullion and the remaining in well diversified traditional investments (stocks, bonds, etc.)

I think I speak from experience. I invested wisely for 35 years in traditional investments and now I am retired and living off those investments. I am not rich, but I am comfortable. My coin collection has never been part of my portfolio. I collected what I like, and probably in the next 20 years, if my children show no interest in my collection, I will sell it. Whether I make a profit on the sale or not, it doesn't matter. What was important was the joy I got from collecting coins these all these years.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mkmans right just get what you like.

Investing in coins requires a lot of lucky even if you do everything right. You could buy all the key dates in the rarest of conditions but you still arent assured a profit down the line. The problem is the value of coins is too closely tied with the economy in general. If the economy is great and people have a ton of money to throw around the price of those coins will go up as more people chase them with more money. But when its like it is now, the longer the bad economy drags out the lower the prices get as people have less and less money to spend on collectables. So even if you did everything right if the economy was in the tank when you went to sell youd probably take a hit.

That said if you think youll just blow the money on booze or something coins can be a good way to make sure you can get something back in the future. But the 1 way you could invest is to just be patient and look for those coins you can snag way below market value for whatever reason and if you want you could go ahead and flip it for a quick profit.

But the bottom line is if it was as easy to get rich buying coins as a lot of people like to imply everyone would be doing it
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brian34Jersey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the feedback, I do have a 401k this is just something additional. I understand the economic factors and I guess my selling point is going to be when the economy shoots through the roof again which is bound to happen in the next thirty years. Then I will put in real estate next home retirement home log cabin etc.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
brian.

good strategy.

in the meantime you should take up coin roll hunting. it sure would get you a start on some instant profits.

sounds like you are not in this for a quick buck, like a day trader or anything, which is good.

sounds like you want to collect what you like and if it just so happens to net you a profit in the long run, good for you.

i find that collecting a coin/series you enjoy, separates you from the stress of buying/selling for a profit, and you can relax and enjoy the fruits of your hard work ajd research of finding just the right coin.

might I suggest that you pick a series, say Walking Liberty half dollars. set a goal on how nice you want your set, ie. all MS63 Toners, and go from there. in the end you will have one sexy set of Ladies that long term, profit or loss, would have to bring anyone a sense of satisfaction that is priceless...
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16622 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  4:51 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's my opinion that the best coin investing "strategy" is no strategy at all. One cannot expect that the value of any coin will gain at a rate even matching inflation. A 30-year window is more encouraging than a 10-year one, but no certainty whatsoever exists.

One factor many coin "investors" don't even consider is the vagaries of liquidating down the road. It is impossible to forecast what will be in demand - what if someone comes up with a bank bag of 1914-D's? How many people will be collecting coins in 30 years? And even if you limit yourself to high-dollar coins to be offered by a reputable auction house, there's no guarantee that any individual coin will realize its' true value at auction. Your only shot at achieving a decent return is to liquidate at retail rather than wholesale (obviously) and retail is fickle indeed.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The roll searching is a good idea. Its about the only no risk adventure in coins. Depending on where you live it could bring back great results or in my area you wont find a thing. The bright side though is even if you find nothing, you still have the exact same amount of money you started with. You really have nothing to lose except time, and if you enjoy doing it you dont even mind spending the time looking at coins
Edited by basebal21
08/26/2012 5:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1018 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right now, believe it or not, I believe is a good time to save mint marked silver coinage. Many estimates show upwards of 70 percent of all silver coins ever produced have been melted. They also show that about 10 percent are "in the ground". I think when the "great silver scrapping" is over there will be a re-examining of what is common and what is hard to find. Just as Morgans have been re-examined and we now have issues that are a lot rarer than their mintages would suggest.

Some good buys right now, again just my opinion, are:

Mintmarked pre 40 Mercury dimes in fine or better ( for 34 up XF should be the minimum grade)

Mintmarked Roosevelt dimes. Except for some of the early issues the minimum grade should be AU55. And while you are at it take a look for reaaaaaaallly high grade 64s with nice toning. Buy em at melt and just sock them away...not a whole bunch..just a few will do nicely

Any SLQ you can get in VF or better for a reasonable price. I still get them at melt for a number of years. I have bought 27d's at melt right now...and they bring almost no premium right now.

Washington quarters pre 58 in MS for around melt. Any pre 45 in xf for the same.

Franklins in MS...I just have a hunch that some many of them are being melted that we will all be surprised 10 years from now how hard they are to get. Consider this. At this moment there are about 14,000 walker, 7,000 barbers, and 9,000 franklins for sale on eBay.

No due to mintage and rarity wouldn't you expect to see more franklins?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2410 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2012  6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ASE's - monster box of 500 but either buy now or wait a month and see if Silver gets under $28 again and if so, pounce on that monster box
IMO, Don't invest in "old" gold coins, your paying a numismatic premium for gold which is already at a high that's never been seen before so if you want gold buy 2012 1 OZt
Buy the key dates of the 19th and 20th century coins in decent grades...1916-D, 1921/21-D, key CC dates etc... then just hang on for the ride

Once you decide if you have a passion for the hobby and numismatics, you can then begin to delve into a strategy of buying certain coins at a low auction bid, slabbing them and having them ready for a resale profit of some sort. A profit is a profit, whether you make 10% on $1,000 or 10% on a hundred, you're ahead of the game.

good luck
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something"

Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2012  12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot I think depends on what your intentions for the investment are. Do you want coins that will hold their value relative to inflation, wealth preservation, safe investment? Or are you looking to coins that will outpace inflation and hopefully build a little nest egg, wealth generating, perhaps not quite as safe of an investment?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2410 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2012  11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one last comment from my peanut gallery...

i have found that when I have an extra $20 in my possession (which is rare with 2 kids!), I will try to win an auction on a coin rather than spend it on pizza and burgers. You do that each week and all of a sudden you have "saved" your money in an off shoot kind of way. Imagine 50 extra $20 coins each year for 10 years. Even if you sell them at what you paid or 25% under, you will have a nice amount of cash rather than have eaten it.
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something"

Pillar Of The Community
United States
12528 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2012  12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely do not think of coins as an investment. It is way, way to uncertain now and even in 30 years. There are many problems with coins as an investment.
1. So many counterfeits appearing may well make the market lousy for selling since no one knows if yours are real or not.
2. So much depends on if this hobby of coins will go up, down, stay stable, end.
3. Mostly a real problem is liquidity. If you start now and soon end up with ten thousand in coin value, just where do you think you could get that amount? And how fast could you get that? Are you a coin dealer or planning on becoming one? If you need money and soon, now your at the mercy of coin dealers everywhere. You could have what you think is ten thousand in coins and if attempting to sell fast for an emergency, you might end up with 3 or 4 thousand instead. Maybe more, maybe a lot less.
4. Anyone can buy coins, but selling them is really no fun. If on places like eBay, might never sell and or could take months. If at a coin store, you might get offered 50% of your coins value. Don't like that, go somewhere else.
5. And if the coins you do buy turned out to be counterfeits, you loose all

For investing, forget coins. This is a hobby and should always be considered one. Remember all the other recent hobbies that failed completely? Get a 401K instead.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05