Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

CEAAT Marked Silver Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2012  11:29 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add AdirondackEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

My dad was given a coin today marked CEAAT, it has a minotaur like figure on the underneath it, on the back is a horse or a dog with 3 heads and 3 tails. Copy is nowhere to be found on the coin. Can somebody please tell me more about this coin and if it has any value?

Learn More...
United States
13822 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2012  11:38 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Formerly jwharper
Learn More...
4253 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2012  11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does the one side look like this image?

The mythical animal you describe sounds like Cerberus, a three headed dog that guards the gates to Hades.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AdirondackEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is almost exactly what it looks like minus the thick patina.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1951 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  01:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gil-galad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's see the photo of the coin.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add randygeki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does it look like this?

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AdirondackEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it looks like that except I have not found the word copy on it.
Formerly jwharper
Learn More...
4253 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins were /are heavily copied/faked. That being said, it's hard to say anything about your coin without seeing images. If you can take pics and post them, along with weight and measurements, we might be able to help. Without pics, I'm afraid there's not much we can say.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
937 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I want to see it :) and though I wouldn't have thought of it until Jwharper mentioned Cerberus; it could well be.

Cerberus I learned recently was the creature that Heracles had to bring to the surface for his 12th labour, he overpowered it without weapons and slung it over his back dragging it back to the surface...what a legend!
Formerly jwharper
Learn More...
4253 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is more likely horses on the reverse as shown in randygeki's image. Too bad. It would be interesting to see a coin with Cerberus
Learn More...
Australia
11236 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin randygeki posted is an extremely commonly encountered brass replica of a silver coin from the city of Gela, Sicily. You can find a dozen threads with people posting them here on this forum (just do a forum search for "Gela" and you should find them all). They were apparently originally stuck to pieces of cardboard and mass-mailed out by Readers Digest or some such bookseller, promoting a book on ancient history. The huge hole in the man-headed-bull's neck was placed there by the people that made the replicas, to allow a big blob of glue to be used to attach the coin to the card; genuine silver tertradrachms of Gela look more like the one jwharper posted, with no crater in the neck.

Some of these replicas have the "COPY" stamp very lightly applied; on others, someone's actually attempted to scrape away the word "COPY" in order to try to pass it off as genuine. Here's one with the word "COPY" either erased or barely visible.

Frankly, unless we see actual pictures of your actual coin and it looks radically different to the brass one posted above, then we'd have to assume yours is one of these brass replicas, too.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Puerto Rico
1 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2013  2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nherzig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I own 2 coins that say CEAAT and are exactly like the ones Randygeki posted on 08/31/2012 02:32 am. I was wondering what they were. I will upload photos of them soon. Can anyone help me identify them. My father brought them back from his tour in WW2. He was in North Africa and Italy. Any ideas? Thanks
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05