Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Silver Eagle Coins Recovered From Ground Zero

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
bobbart
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  11:56 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bobbart to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Silver Eagle Coins Recovered From Ground Zero.
What do you think about the price?
http://www.usgoldbureau.com/product...ve-book-coin

Bobbart

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5627 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  12:09 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that it is tacky to try and peddle something with any connection to the WTC for profit.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sirdizzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WAY WAY WAY WAY too much and someone just trying to profit off the tragedy of 9/11. That is a %800 markup of market value. I'd pay maybe %25 markup at most. That is something I would expect to see peddled on the home shopping channel telling me what a great deal it was and get it in the next 10 minutes before they are sold out.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobbart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply back...I,m not buying the coin.
bobbart
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2944 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A portion of the sales price is donated to the WTC National Memorial & Museum

Isn't there already a memorial? Are they expanding?

It would need to be 100% of the proceeds of a reasonably priced ASE will be donated to victims families, ie. children who lost a parent in order for me to bite.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8986 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  1:51 pm  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that people do donate part of the proceeds, but I hate when you later find out it was such a miniscule amount you could have donated 10 times that yourself and still saved money on the purchase. If they dont state how much I just assume its going to be so little its not worth adding any value to the item thinking youre doing a good thing
Pillar Of The Community
United States
801 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the other posters, the price is way to high for what you are getting. This sounds like another get rich quick scheme packaged to look like a charitable activity, where most of the charity donation is going to the seller.

You'd be better off giving directly to the charity itself and like has been said previously they'd get more money from you than from the seller, and you'd actually feel good and save yourself a future headache.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4446 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  4:39 pm  Show Profile Check IndianGoldEagle's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are paying for the holder. Who knows where these came from.
Check out my coins and bullion at http://usn6771.ecrater.com/index.php low prices, free shipping for CCF members.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1770 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You are paying for the holder. Who knows where these came from.

The coin in the graphic appears to be one of the coins graded by PCGS -- these PCGS coins are confirmed/certified to have come from a vault below the former Twin Towers/World Trade Center.

If you are interested in such coins, check eBay. You will likely be able to purchase one at half the price being asked by the company at the link you provided. You can also find other "Ground Zero" coins -- I've seen gold Eagles along with Canadian silver Maple Leafs and 10 Peso coins from Uruguay.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Edited by commems
09/10/2012 6:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  6:14 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think its sad for someone to be cashing in on an event in which so many innocent people died
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2632 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2012  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The whole idea just makes me sick. And to offer it as the Anniversary approaches?
Sure, there were coins to be dug up under the Towers. Banks and countries kept
coins and bullion there.
But to profit from them ... at usurious rates?
Emotions, turned to greed, lead only to sadness for we bystanders, who stand by
and helplessly watch.
Pardon me for my rant.
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Edited by matthewvincent
09/10/2012 6:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2232 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2012  8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sick over this...i live here and its disgusting to me that they would sell these for over $300 and send a $25 bill to a memorial, pocketing the rest and sitting around their boardroom table making statements like "well, that's free enterprise in America" as if they were entitled.

I know too many lives touched by what happened. Pitiful dirt bags.
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something"

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know allot of collectors that will not touch these things as they call them blood money and a scheme for profiteers to make money on a tragedy such as 9/11. I know some people that don't think this way but did want to go ahead and report the attitude I picked up from other topics about these types of coins. Now the price is way to high for this type of coin even if you did want one for your collection. You can find them allot cheaper than what is being asked there. You usually see an abundance of them for sale every year around this time since 2001. This is one of the past threads on this topic if you would like to read it http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=47026 as was said in this older thread the first ones had a portion of the proceeds going to the families of the WTC fund but there were other slabbings of these coins where NONE of the money ever made it to anyone but the companies profiting from the tragedy and I believe that is why allot of people feel so passionate about not collecting them
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8986 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  8:59 pm  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I would like one for my collection just for what it is and what happened that day. That said I would not pay 400 dollars for one and do think its disgusting when people say proceeds are going to the fund and donate a miniscule amount
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2012  02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chump Change to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Search eBay for these coins.
I picked one up for 34.00 about a year ago.
1987 Silver Eagle.
I had placed a bid up to $100.00 but no one else bid.
The seller was very slow to ship...I was kinda surprised they did.
If I were to get another, I would want a 2001 ASE.
The price would have to be reasonable...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05