Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

D-Day Coins

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  3:27 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

After making the mistake of browsing Ebay I've decided to add a new set to my commemorative collections and I need some help.

I would like to do a set of D-Day coins and was wondering what I am missing.

Not including the US WW2 commems I found:
1994 50p British D-day
1993 France 1 Franc D-Day
2004 Isle Of Man
2004 France 1 1/2 Euro D-Day

They all seemed to be legitimate but if any of those are incorrect that would be very helpful as well as any that I am missing.

Any good places to buy them would be very appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance

Learn More...
United States
22117 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That will be a worthy collection.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FinanceGuru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like an awesome collection. It's a great idea to collect a set around a significant timeframe.

Good luck and I hope they are authentic.
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to have to look through my WWII coins and see. I think I have at least 15 different D-Day related coins/medals

You think this will stop with D-Day? At one point I think I had over 175 WWII related coins
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You think this will stop with D-Day?

For the moment I will say yes, but we all know the only way this stops with D-Day is if the world really does end in December
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2216 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly I nice historical set to assemble, good luck with the hunt!

In addition to what you've listed, there are also several 1994 Marshall Islands coins honoring "The Heroes of D-Day." The design is available in copper-nickel as a $5 coin, in brass as a $10 piece and in silver as a $50 coin.

I've put together a set of "participant" coins that marked the 50th anniversary of D-Day - - " all of which you've listed. You may have come across the three-piece set of them that was marketed by the British Royal Mint, it contains the US, France and UK coins in proof - - " it makes for an attractive set. The set was available in silver and gold. Here's a quick snapshot of my silver set.

There are a number of "packaging options" for the 50th anniversary coins available if you want to pursue them. The Royal Mint put out two different folders with the 50 pence coin and also released a philatelic-numismatic cover (PNC) featuring the coin and the UK's WWII stamps. In a previous post, I've shown the special package that combined the France silver 1 Franc and the US silver 1 Dollar coins; it was put out by the Battle of Normandy Foundation. (Here's a link: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...rms=normandy) There are also some privately-issued PNCs for the coins of the US and France.

I was always surprised that Canada didn't issue a 50th anniversary D-Day coin. The nation participated in the operation so it would have been appropriate, and the Royal Canadian Mint doesn't miss many opportunities to issue a commemorative coin! They did issue a WWII commemorative medal set that included a D-Day medal as one of the six medals, however. In 2004, they issued a privy-marked silver Maple Leaf coin with a D-Day privy to mark the 60th anniversary.

I don't want to hijack your post, but I'd be happy to post some additional images if there is interest.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2216 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention, there are also D-Day coins from the following:

Alderney: 1994 2 Pound coin available in copper-nickel and silver + 10, 25, 50 and 100 Pound gold coins

Guernsey: 1994 2 Pound coin available in copper-nickel and silver + 10, 25, 50 and 100 Pound gold coins

Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't want to hijack your post, but I'd be happy to post some additional images if there is interest.

By all means go right ahead. It would be very helpful to see images of what Ill be looking for. Every time I've tried to google it I get so many irrelevant links its hard to sort through to find official images of at least what the design should look like. I remembered the France one you had posted which I enjoyed a lot its actually what gave me the idea. Decided to see if ebay had any and one thing led to another seeing some of the others and here we are

I do have interest in getting ones in the official mint sets like you showed in your thread and would also like to have a graded example as well which looks like I will have to send in on my own. I've already accepted the fact that whatever I try to limit the set too it will keep growing over time as long as more examples are out there. The one thing I know for sure is that at long as the price of Gold is what it is I wont be adding any of the gold coins for now, but would be all for the brass and copper versions as well as silver.

The biggest issue aside from just a lack of information and not knowing where to look seems to be the majority of the sellers are all over seas. Im not sure how faked these coins are but I did notice a few ebay sellers for some of the silvers ones were out of China so I assume at least some fakes are out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANADA-2004...em51a23f808a

^ Is that the Canadian set you referred to in your post?
Learn More...
United States
22117 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For the moment I will say yes, but we all know the only way this stops with D-Day is if the world really does end in December
At least you know you have a problem. That is the first step.

Quote:
In addition to what you've listed...
commems, you are truly full of knowledge!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
At least you know you have a problem. That is the first step.

The real problem is I wont get to the step where you desire to stop
Learn More...
United States
22117 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The real problem is I wont get to the step where you desire to stop
Stop, think, and ask yourself... is that really a problem?

Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Stop, think, and ask yourself... is that really a problem?

My mailman would say yes. Im sure hes sick of walking up to my house to leave packages
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4492 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great fun will be had chasing this set ... and I have no further coins to offer.

Quote:
commems, you are truly full of knowledge

... What a tremendous assett to the CCF and I am very appreciative of all of commems learned contributions.

Please keep us in the know basebal21 as you grow in this chase.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... What a tremendous assett to the CCF and I am very appreciative of all of commems learned contributions.

Without commems I certainly wouldnt have the interest in the series that I do now.

I blame him for starting my "problem"

Quote:

I will hopefully there will be lots of updates

Ive currently got my eye on a pair of the PCGS MS70 WWII dollar and Half, once those are acquired (fingers crossed) I will start the world wide ones.

Now if I could just figure out the best place to get them

Edited by basebal21
10/03/2012 8:21 pm
Learn More...
United States
22117 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2012  12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My mailman would say yes. Im sure hes sick of walking up to my house to leave packages

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2216 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@basebal21: I apologize for any budget busting I may have caused via my posts!

As requested...

Here are images of two of the special D-Day coin packages put out by the British Royal Mint. They both contain the copper-nickel version of the 50 pence coin.

First up is the smaller of the two packages; when folded, it measures just 3-1/4 inches wide by 6 inches tall. As seen in the images, it is a colorful package with text and graphics about the D-Day invasion. I've shown views of the inside and outside of the folder. There is an additional inside flap that shows the obverse of the coin and some D-Day photographs as well as a standalone card with more details about the invasion. You'll notice that the package features the logo of The Royal British Legion. The Legion provides care and support for current British armed forces personnel as well as its veterans. My understanding is that this special package helped raise funds for the Legion.

The next series of images is for the Royal Mint's commemorative folder featuring the 50 pence coin; this package is similar to US Mint Young Collector Sets with an outer sleeve and an inner, multi-panel folder with an embedded mint state coin. In addition to the informative folder, the package also contains a separate card that focuses on the US' landings at Utah Beach and Omaha Beach; a copy of General Dwight David Eisenhower's message to the invasion force just prior to the start of the operation is also inserted. If you decide to add this commemorative set to your collection, make sure it has these two additional inserts.

I'll post other related pieces as I have the time to scan them.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05