Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

stolen coins :( (Kingston, NY area)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  2:15 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...7206392.html

a post on the local CL. its sad when this happens

Edited to add location

Learn More...
United States
21906 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This hits me harder than the usual, as it implies there was a sentimental attachment to them.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Learn More...
United States
14434 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  2:36 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It hurts every time I see one of these. I wish this person all the best and hopefully, a recovery.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early big copper enthusiast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, unless those coins were slabbed with ID numbers and the thief doesnt break them out theres a miniscule chance of catching him.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwcregger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is really sad what is happening in the world these days. People cannot safely even share their collections with others without possibly having their collections stolen.Just so very, very sad.
Learn More...
United States
17318 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  4:08 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do we have any Kingston-area members who could maybe poke their noses into the local coin/pawn shops for a little sleuthing?
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fat Freddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before anybody goes too far down the Rochester, NY area trail...

Kerhonkson NY (the location shown in the Craigslist posting) is about 24 miles SW of Kingston NY. Depending on the route that you choose, Kerhonkson is 200 (as direct as possible by car) to 300 or more (less mountainous, back roads, more bicycle-friendly) miles from Rochester.
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its only about an hour from me. (through back roads) not to many pawn shops in the area that I have been able to find. I would guess there are some in the back woods and that they wouldnt care where the coins came from if someone were to bring them in. also because they are not slabbed it would be easy to sell them on eBay or anywhere else with very little question asked. I do have adds on CL stating that I buy silver and cions so maybe they will end up coming to me to sell them. Ill have to keep my eyes open
Learn More...
United States
17318 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  7:20 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Before anybody goes too far down the Rochester, NY area trail...

Kerhonkson NY (the location shown in the Craigslist posting) is about 24 miles SW of Kingston NY. Depending on the route that you choose, Kerhonkson is 200 (as direct as possible by car) to 300 or more (less mountainous, back roads, more bicycle-friendly) miles from Rochester.

That would be my bad. I immediately did a copypasta context-menu Google Search for "Kerhonkson," and Google returned a local-area map with Rochester being the adjacent town. Given that I didn't expect there to be two Rochesters in New York - and mind you, I was born in Albany and raised in that area - I hope you'll understand and forgive the mistake.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4345 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll keep an eye out....but doubt they would come up to Albany (60 miles or so) to sell them..

Quote:
I didn't expect there to be two Rochesters

I hear you Ssuper...the Town of Rochester is in the Shawanagunk Mts. (wonderful hiking/climbing area) in the Hudson Valley, Think Borst Belt area in the Catskills...The City of Rochester is Western NY about an hour east of Buffalo.

My thoughts, my beliefs, my feelings are all in my brain. My brain is going to rot.

Richard Dawkins
Learn More...
United States
17318 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  10:05 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't know you were in that area, amida17. I used to ride my bike to Thatcher Park as a young teenager to recreate, if that helps to locate me. Yeah, the climb was nasty on the way out but the trip home was kinda fun.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4345 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2012  10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grew up in Saratoga Springs....live down toward Albany now. Thatcher Park is a great place to hike (I'm not much of a cyclist). Used to ride my bike around Saratoga Battlefield though...this area has alot of beauty to accompany its history...imo
My thoughts, my beliefs, my feelings are all in my brain. My brain is going to rot.

Richard Dawkins
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05