Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Coin Roll Hunting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

CRH: What are you looking for?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Lostwords
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1126 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  11:13 am Show Profile Check Lostwords's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Lostwords to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This is a newbie questions, what are you guys/gals particularly looking for when you goes on a hunt?

Is it a particular year? Metal type? Denomination? Mintage?

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
21027 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I actively hunted, I did it to fill holes in my Dansco albums. I collect all denominations by date and mint, but not variety (beyond the major ones included in the albums).
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinguy1000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver
Pillar Of The Community
1751 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FadeToBlack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
537 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Williamsonj320 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver and to fill albums.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1126 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  12:52 pm  Show Profile Check Lostwords's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lostwords to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those that answer with Silver, what years do you looking at for coin with silver (American and Canadian)? I remembered someone told me the dime with the fish? How do you know if there's silver content for the coin?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fat Freddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver halves, quarters, dimes & war nickels, though I'm also filling up buckets w/ copper pennies that I intend to sell.

Silver hunting is tough where I live. The regional coin pool is pretty well picked clean of silvers, and the remaining pickings are meager. Thankfully, copper pennies are still fat and even the wheaties are still around.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1126 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  5:52 pm  Show Profile Check Lostwords's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lostwords to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those that collect Pennies (Canadian or American), what one should looks for? We are doing a penny drive at work for charity and I'll be helping with wrapping them. Can anyone give me tips on what I should be looking out for?
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gorebug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For canadian coins, check the http://coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php website.

I believe for canadian dollars, halfs, quarters and dimes anything 1967 and prior is 80% silver.

In the US I think the date is 1964 (but I'm likely wrong).
Edited by gorebug
10/25/2012 6:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  6:15 pm  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obvious answer is silver. But I'm a cent box searcher. I usually go for any wheats or older, and I look for the varieties and errors in any newer dates. For example, a 1995 Doubled Die Lincoln cent is a nice find. I'm up to 8 pieces of that variety since I started CRHing 2 years ago. Best of luck to you!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fat Freddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For pictures, descriptions, values, etc of American coins, there are 2 books -- "Guide Book of United States Coins-The Official Red Book" and "Handbook of United States Coins-The Official Blue Book" -- and both are published annually by Whitman. The Red Book has more and better pictures and descriptions, and the blue book has more realistic values. Between the 2 of them, they'll give you a good handle on the whole "what to look for" thing as well as answers to a lot of other questions. Those 2 books took me from "hopelessly ignorant, clueless newbie" status to "semi-ignorant newbie with 2 good books and he can now look up answers to most of his own questions" status. I'm still pretty green, but the books are a great help.

For Canadian coins, I honestly don't know, but I'd guess there must be Canadian counterparts of the 2 books mentioned above. Ask your local coin shop people.

Happy reading and happy hunting!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
797 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2012  09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennysaver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hunt nickels and cents and I have them all in fairly decent shape, EF+ to MS grades for the vast majority of them. So for me when I roll hunt it's varieties all the way.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2012  08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy looking for errors on the US penny's. although I enjoy those tones, I really like finding clashes, rotated dies and doubled dies but I look for all of the ones I can find. Just found the 1999 WAM in ms64 just a few months back. Found 72 DDO and some real nice clashes, just the other day I found one of the top 5 trails out there, not in the best shape but the trails are cool!
Happy Hunting!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05