Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Possible struck through die cap Nickel? Please help.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Murphy
Valued Member
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2012  12:21 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Murphy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found this about a week ago in a bank box. When I posted pictures in the Coin Roll Hunting section I was told it could be a possible struck through die cap? I was advised to post it here for review. I did some research and I am still a little unsure as to exactly how this happens. If I understand it correctly, some object, typically another coin, sticks to the die and creates a "cap". The "capped die" then continues to strike other coins not allowing full definition of the coin to be shown. I know this is an over simplified explanation, but this is how I picture it in my mind. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Credit for the pictures goes to my Brother. Thanks Bro.

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1706 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2012  12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have the basics of the explaination of a die cap correct but unfortunately I think you coin is PMD. The reverse was damaged a little and the major damage was on the obverse. Just my opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11078 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2012  1:14 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, your coin is just damaged. Your understanding of the process is stated in a simplified manner but you have the gist of it. This quote is from one of my posts on the subject from a few months ago-

Quote:
A die cap occurs when a planchet is struck but instead of being ejected from the coining chamber, it adheres to one of the dies. This die cap now becomes the die itself so instead of striking normal coins in relief, the first few coins struck will have an incuse mirrored image known as a mirror brockage. As the die cap strikes more coins, it spreads out and wraps around the shank of the die. This thinning and spreading of the die cap causes the resultant brockage image to distort and spread out with the end result being a late stage brockage. After repeatedly striking more coins, the die cap becomes so thin and distorted that it can no longer transfer the brockage image and then a ghost image of the capped die begins to appear.
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2012  2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Murphy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for you replies Pyrbob and Biokemist6. Now I don't have to decide if I wish to keep it or sell it. I'll keep my eye out for more interesting coins.

That's a great explanation. That's how I see it in my mind. I just couldn't put it into words very well.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2012  10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sab3927 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse tells much. Die cap strikes have normal reverses perhaps even sharper. Your coin has a mushy reverse pointing to a damaged coin. I would urge you not to sell it unless as a damaged coin. Putting it back in circulation is best.
Valued Member
United States
298 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2012  1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Murphy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had no intention of selling it unless it was a "real" mint error. To knowingly sell it as a "mint error" when it's really PMD would be dishonest in my opinion. It's just bad karma.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05