Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nickel Stock dime error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
657 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2012  6:24 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So I found this 1967 roosie dime while searching the drawers at work. Its very thick, the proper diameter for a dime, smooth edges, not reeded. havent got acess to a scale yet. here are some pics, comparing it to a nickel and a quarter.
it abou the same thickness as the nickel which brings me to my question. Is this a nickel stock dime error and if so whats its value? from research I see a lil about Quarter stock dime from this time but even info on those is scarce. HELP! lol
Sorry for the blurry pics best I can do atm.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1760 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2012  6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight is a must but it looks like PMD to me. It looks like a dryer or spooned coin. The smooth edge is a bad sign. My guess is when you weigh it the weight will be proper for a dime.
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2012  7:24 pm  Show Profile Check Dave42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dave42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with PMD, possibly a dryer coin. THe fact that you can see copper proves it is not from nickel stock, and the way the rim is pushed up high above the field of the coin makes me think dryer coin.

Dave
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2451 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2012  10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just going by your photos it appears that the fields on the dime seem deep. If it had been struck on a nickel planchet the fields would be shallow -- I think.

I also believe (but do not know for certain) that there is no way that a nickel planchet could end up dime-sized. I think you would end up with a dime the size of a nickel.

Maybe somebody does know for sure....

Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2012  07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a sheet of nickel-sized nickel was cut into dime planchets, wouldn't this be possible? I know that that OP's coin is not, but it seems plausible that such a thing COULD happen...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1760 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2012  08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, this can happen. I own 2 wrong stock errors. I own one of the most common, the 1970 D quarter struck on dime stock. I also found while roll searching a 1969 dime struck on quarter stock. The error happens when a roll of the wrong stock is fed through the blanking press. The blank is the right diameter but the wrong thickness and possibly the wrong composition depending on which stock was used.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2012  10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like my dryer dime. still neat to look at I guess
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05