Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hard Times token 1834 Perish Credit Perish Commerce

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1493 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2012  12:03 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just won this as part of a job lot:

I'm always surprised to find one of these in the UK, and I'd be interested in anything you can tell me.
Thanks,
Bob

I want to own more medals than a four star general. Give generously
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11337 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2012  12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...ord_offset=0
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2012  1:20 pm  Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Their are a couple of different varieties. I don't have my guide with me. Here is another one http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=93784.
Edited by mmorgan22
11/22/2012 1:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2882 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2012  7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently your political Hard Times token was sufficiently well-known at the time that the the John J. Adams Co. of Taunton, Massachusetts saw fit to steal the design for their merchants' Hard Times token, hawking boar bristle brushes! The "My Third Heat" on the boar's flank was replaced with "Cash For Brushes." Our own vermontensium sold me a copy of this token at the ANA show in Philadelphia. This isn't a pic of it, though; mine was too corroded even to identify for a while.

"Knowledge is the treasure of a wise man." --William Penn
Edited by philadelphian
11/23/2012 7:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2012  07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's something rebellious and wildly creative about these tokens. Someday I will collect them. I've been thinking about them for years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2013  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some info about the token...

1834 "Running Boar" Hard Times Token
Political discourse in the early 19th century was far more vitriolic than we have today for which this coin owes its origins. The huge fight between Jackson's Democratic party vs. the Federalists resulted in coins such as this one and in fact formed the root of the Republican party!
Few presidential vetoes have caused as much controversy as the one Andrew Jackson sent to Congress on July 10, 1832. The veto of the bill to re-charter the United States Bank was the prelude to a conflict over fiscal policy that continued through Jackson's second term and climaxed during the mid-term elections of 1834. The controversy created the background for the issuance of clothing buttons, ribbons and a great many tokens by the Whig opposition. The first tokens appeared in city elections in New York, then later in state and congressional elections and represent some of the first examples of dirty politicking in America.
J. Doyle DeWitt, in American Political Badges and Medals, writes: "Many of the political tokens...bore coarse and critical allusions to Jackson through the device of a , a hog and legends which continually repeated the word MY." (The Whigs accused Jackson of seeking dictatorial power by taking personal control of government assets.)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1493 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that Dave H. Funnily enough I'd just picked this out to look at 20 minutes before reading your post.
Now I can update the log
I want to own more medals than a four star general. Give generously
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05