Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Commemoratives and Non-Circulating Coinage (NCLT)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1988 1/10th oz Platinum Maple Leaf: Numismatic Value?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Anjohl
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
762 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  12:19 am Show Profile Check Anjohl's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Anjohl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just acquired a 1988 1/10th ounce Platinum Maple for just under spot, in mildly circulated grade (long story). I love the coin, but am curious, with the relatively lower mintage (25k or less I believe), does this coin possess any significant numismatic value over it's bullion price?

I will post pictures later.

Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  01:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 54dollarcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no .............. and lightly circulated not a chance. Just another RCM piece of metal!
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure about the Canadian counterparts but the US Platinum coins are always struck in very low mintage but that fact never makes them worth any more numismaticly. The reason they are stuck in such low mintages is because they aren't that popular because of the price I believe. I would imagine one in circulated condition would sell for bullion value only
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  3:00 pm  Show Profile Check poboxw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
melt only especially since it's damaged. You'll be able to get a bit more for it online since 1/10oz bullion gold or pt maples usually sell 20-30 above spot. But, less the fees, it'll likely be only at if not bit below spot.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
585 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  3:07 pm  Show Profile Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numismatic value, no. But there will still be a premium over spot due to the fact that it is platinum and a small fractional size.
Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RogerD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bullion value for sure, picked one up during the summer at the LCS small premium made it worth buying. Next couple of years will be good for Pt anyway, something to hold on to.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
640 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to throw this out there, I too have a 1/10th oz platinum. The story where it came from isn't even believed by my mint-rep. Back in about 1987/88 I was collecting the '88 Olympic set. The coins were getting behind in their shipping dates - not unlike recent events - In appreciation for sticking with the collection, this 1/10th Pt coin appears from the mint with nothing more than a type written explanation. At the time I had no idea what it was worth, so just stuck it in a 2x2 and forgot about it. Sorry, the explanation sheet is long gone, or possibly we could have used it for a precedent setting against their slow deliveries this year!
Valued Member
Canada
396 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tocoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW WOW WOW! WOW!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
762 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  9:00 pm  Show Profile Check Anjohl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Anjohl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine was found in change....it's only lightly "circulated". I love it, it looks great with my Kruegerrand. I just need a Palladium Leaf now!
Pillar Of The Community
1007 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rockdaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found in change. WOW 🎁
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2012  04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add trimble to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be worth more if it was the 1/15th ounce platinum maple leaf...1993 I think
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
639 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2012  05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrpiedfort to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a 1991?/1992? 1/10 oz platinum coin when I purchased the 125th anniversary of Canada 25 cent set. I think it's worth around $300 now. Not bad considering that it was a bonus.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
762 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2012  09:22 am  Show Profile Check Anjohl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Anjohl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was put through a stores till as a dime...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05