Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Metal Detecting laws in California. Need clarification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
357 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2012  10:27 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Coinfanmorgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've been researching metal detecting laws in California, which is where I live. But based upon an answer to someone else asking the question on another website, this was the answer they received:

The California Code of Regulations, Title XIV, Division 3, Section 1 contains four sections applicable to the use of metal detectors in State Parks. Section 4305 prohibits the disturbance of any animal, Section 4306 prohibits the disturbance of any plant, Section 4307 prohibits the disturbance of any geological feature, and Section 4308 prohibits the disturbance of any archaeological feature. These regulations define, plant life as including; leaf mold, grass, turf, and humus; and geological features include earth, sand, gravel, and rocks.

The act of passing a metal detector over the ground in a State Park is not against the law. The prying up or digging out of an object however may be, as this may not be done if it disturbs the animals, plants, geological or archaeological features. Section 4309 gives the Department the authority to grant permits to disturb resources if it is in the best interest of the Department to do so.

Since the units of the Department are extremely varied, we have delegated the authority to regulate activity related to metal detectors to our District Superintendents. Therefore, you will need to contact personnel in the park in which you wish to perform metal detecting and follow their instructions as to where and how you may metal detect.

Do they mean public parks are included as well? Or is this just referring to state property and parks?

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2012  11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MadMortician to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my knowledge Public Parks are city property, and not every public park is a State Park.

Example from the bay area: Pacifica

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Paci...nia&t=m&z=16

Oddstad park is a public park owned, maintained, and run by the city of Pacifica. It is not classified as a State Park in any way. I know this because I used to pick up trash here as a Boy Scout, and I was responsible for getting permission to go and do this. I first approached getting permission my first year as if it was a State Park and my request was denied because I was told it was not a State Park, but a Public City Park.

That being said... even if it is a Public Park I'd contact the city.

But, nothing you listed said anything about beaches... and it is easier to no disturb any animals or plants on a beach!
Edited by MadMortician
12/11/2012 11:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
14432 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  12:32 am  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live and detect in Southern California with my friend. Private property is always okay as long as you have owners permission. County and city parks are also generally okay without permission. Not too sure about State parks and National parks, well, you know the answer to that.
There is a park here with history dating back to the 1800's that we detect. It's patrolled by Park Rangers. We approached and asked if okay. They said no problem :-)
If unsure, just ask.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early big copper enthusiast.
Valued Member
357 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinfanmorgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great. Thanks for clarifying this for me. I've been getting hits on my five acres, but most of the time, I've come up empty. I have even tried taking a ruler and measuring the indicated depth, and still nothing even though I have hits on my detector. The only thing I've found is a metal sander on my property.
Edited by Coinfanmorgan
12/12/2012 08:55 am
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2012  11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ron_CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see people detecting on the beach a lot. Coins and rings are found often
Pillar of the Community
United States
5452 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2012  11:50 am  Show Profile Check IndianGoldEagle's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like all fun is outlawed in CA.
Check out my coins and bullion at http://usn6771.ecrater.com/index.php low prices, free shipping for CCF members.
Learn More...
United States
14432 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2012  4:32 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Public beaches are no problem.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early big copper enthusiast.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roscue2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
National Parks are illegal to hunt in any state. HH and GL
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2012  03:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a suggestion, but for state parks, you may mention having a tool that will allow you to replace the grass and turf above the coin--e.g., take out a nice big chunk with a sharp trowel, then dig down to your hit, then replace the dirt and place the turf back on top. I used to do this in my backyard to hunt earthworms for fishing, and I promise, if you take a decent chunk (about the size of a baseball) with the next rain the earth will run back together, and the grass will not be particularly disturbed--it'll grow just fine.

I unfortunately don't have a detector, but that would be my suggestion--"disturb" would seem to mean "harm," so.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2013  2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alexie90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting and informative to read these posts. I live up north of Sacramento and just recently purchased our first metal detector. I'm hoping to get my 9year old interested in looking locally and not locally

thanks for all the info

Suzanne
Pillar of the Community
United States
5038 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2013  12:12 pm  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to find me some "roundness" , any "nectar" actually. Would be fun.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05