Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Restoring Buffalo Nickels

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  08:14 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rupre07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It is considered "damaging" to restore a Buffalo nickel's details? I know alot of you do that but would that warrant a details grade from a TPG?

Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be an altered coin, non gradable.
Restoring the details removes metal from the coin, exposing the old design with "metal Memory". These coins are generally considered damaged and a TPG will not grade them or even put a Details designation upon them.
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rupre07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
alright thankyou
Pillar of the Community
United States
880 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  08:57 am  Show Profile Check jerseyben's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jerseyben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen some ANACS slabs with details grades for acid treated dates. It is considered damaged, however, I support the practice. If it has no date and is otherwise worthless, why not?
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gubni to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No date = no value. Acid restored date = maybe some value as a hole filler.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6944 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No date = no value

To you = No value
To a seasoned collector = No value
Free to a 6 year old kid standing in front of me at the FUN show = Priceless

It's all relative my friend.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11165 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  11:45 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These coins are generally considered damaged and a TPG will not grade them or even put a Details designation upon them.

All of the major grading services will slab them with a details grade and proper notation of the date restoration. Of course, there are really only a couple that would be worth submitting- the 1916 DDO and the 1918/17-D(also a DDO).

Edit: I excluded the 3 Legger for the simple fact that I have never seen a dateless example and the 1930s issues typically have much stronger dates than the Teens and 20s issues. If you were lucky enough to find a dateless 3 Legger, that one would be worthy of slabbing as well.
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
01/02/2013 6:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  4:17 pm  Show Profile Check weerdsteev's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add weerdsteev to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm. Can a 1918/7-D really be considered a DDO?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11165 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  4:53 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is a Class 3 Doubled Die(Design Hub Doubling) along with all of the other 20th century "overdates". The die was impressed using a 1917 hub, put back on the shelf, and then impressed the second time with a 1918 hub. The 1960 Lincoln Large Date over Small Date is another example of Class 3 Design Hub Doubling.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
2002 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  5:21 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"No date = no value"

Im fairly certain the main exception to this would be a dateless 1937 d three legged buffalo. Since it is identifiable even without a date, you would be decreasing its value by making it a details grade coin when instead it could be slabbed by a TGP and sold at a much higher price.

-XoG
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I had made a list somewhere of all the Buffaloes that can be identified when dateless, and therefore should be spared from the acid... Off the top of my head:

1913 Type I (all mints)
1916 DDO
1918/7-D
1920 (all mints)
1921 (all mints but 1921-S is the cherry-pick!)
1924 (all mints)
1937-D three-legged

Not all of those are of any value restored or no, but some are keys. There are also two-feather varieties (but those happen on multiple dates, so may still need acid) and there's the three-and-a-half leg one, but I can never remember what date it is.

1921-S is surprisingly not that hard to find in dateless and even partial-date lots, so that's really worth searching for before you reach for the Nic-a-Date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2002 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  6:01 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can you idenfify the dateless others besides the type ones and the three leggers?
Oldest Found-------
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1916 DDO has die markers and doubling is visible on other devices. The 1918/7-D has distinctive die markers (although there's only a slim chance you could find them on a dateless example). 1920, 1921 and 1924 have very specific design characteristics.

I need to make a better quality version of this image:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  9:18 pm  Show Profile Check weerdsteev's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add weerdsteev to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be astonished if anyone ever found a naturally occurring, dateless, 1937-D 3-legger. I have NEVER encountered a truly dateless nickel of any sort beyond 1935, and I doubt you'll ever encounter anyone who has played around with more dateless nickels than me. (1935-D is actually a pretty routine find. 1931-S...? Exactly 2 in literally 10s of thousands of MINT MARKED nickels!)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good point. I recall finding hardly any dateless nickels from the 30s. A identifiable partial dates, but that's about it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2002 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  9:52 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting those die markers CaptainFwiffo!

I have found one or two dateless 1936 p coins through acid dating, but never a 37
Oldest Found-------
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05