Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Dealer has 2012 Silver Proof Set at $71.95...snag it?!

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2013  12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got the 2009 Silver Proof set...it is awesome. You're going to love it...lots of great coins.
Dave
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2013  12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wulffy, I'm buying the P&D mint sets. They have the 4 commemorative Lincoln cents in copper. I will probably tell the shop to get me a 2nd set. They should be in demand once collectors start thinking about how beautiful the coins are in the pre-1982 metallic composition. I'm pretty sure the proof cents are the same, but not everyone likes proofs, though I like them, too, and will eventually get them as well. You might want to get a mint set, too, while the price is still low.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2623 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they suddenly put up a sign now selling it for $99.95 no more than ten minutes after I got it for $71.95.

Lucky you, wulffy11!

The 2012 Uncirculated Mint Set just Sold Out, too...

I bought only the Silver Proof Sets for years, but in June 2009 I bought a Clad Proof Set just so I could have the Copper Cents before the release of the Silver set (which I bought the next month).

As of January 1st, 2013, that 2009 Set was the only Clad Proof Set I owned.
The next day, I read this article on Mint News Blog. I immediately went on the Mint's website, ordered a 2012 Clad Proof Set, and got my order confirmation e-mail that evening. You know what happened next.

It's January 28th. I now have a complete 1999-2009 Clad Proof Quarters box/COA Set run, with all those coins in a Dansco 7146, and the full Clad Proof Sets from 2008 to 2012.

How did this happen?
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm addicted to the silver proof sets I am currently looking for the 2011 Silver Proof set. That will give me 2009 - 2012. I'll continue to work backwards
Dave
Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started buying the silver proof set each year in 2004. I will not buy the clad set. I cannot understand how a clad proof set can sell in some cases for a higher price than a silver set. Everything I hear from dealers is that clad proof sets are not worth anything except the current year. Maybe I live in the wrong area. But I know that the silver sets will always have a value and some day they will be worth a lot more than the clad sets, if only for the silver value.

I don't buy mint sets either, but I did buy the 2009 set because it had the 95% copper cents in it. But for some reason this set sells for half the price of the 2008 mint set (which I also have, but I won this as a prize). Why is that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2190 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:10 am  Show Profile Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Kurrykid, you have 50+ posts and just pass the 14days membership restriction to put up a want list in the Buy/Trade/Sell section. At the height of silver of 2011, I bought 5 extra set of the 2011 Silver Proof Set..... and I have NONE of the 2012 Silver Proof Set......

Have anyone checked my Want List?
*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade.
My coins for sale
Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What was the final mintage of the 2012 silver proof set? I can't seem to find it on the mints website.
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bruce...ti be honest, I wasn't even aware that these lists existed
Dave
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What was the final mintage of the 2012 silver proof set? I can't seem to find it on the mints website.

I pulled this from another forum...hopefully it's accurate:

MintNewsBlog reports that the mint has sold out of the 2012 Silver Proof Set with a mintage of just 393,757 sets.

HTH

Dave
Dave
Pillar of the Community
United States
2623 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
393,757 was the reported 2012 Silver Proof Set mintage at the day of the sell-out.

The final mintage is 395,443.

Mint Stats 21 January 2012

The 2012 Clad Proof Set's final mintage is 794,002
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Edited by DNA
01/29/2013 01:47 am
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05