Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Dealer has 2012 Silver Proof Set at $71.95...snag it?!

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2013  12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got the 2009 Silver Proof set...it is awesome. You're going to love it...lots of great coins.
Dave
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2013  12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wulffy, I'm buying the P&D mint sets. They have the 4 commemorative Lincoln cents in copper. I will probably tell the shop to get me a 2nd set. They should be in demand once collectors start thinking about how beautiful the coins are in the pre-1982 metallic composition. I'm pretty sure the proof cents are the same, but not everyone likes proofs, though I like them, too, and will eventually get them as well. You might want to get a mint set, too, while the price is still low.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2593 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they suddenly put up a sign now selling it for $99.95 no more than ten minutes after I got it for $71.95.

Lucky you, wulffy11!

The 2012 Uncirculated Mint Set just Sold Out, too...

I bought only the Silver Proof Sets for years, but in June 2009 I bought a Clad Proof Set just so I could have the Copper Cents before the release of the Silver set (which I bought the next month).

As of January 1st, 2013, that 2009 Set was the only Clad Proof Set I owned.
The next day, I read this article on Mint News Blog. I immediately went on the Mint's website, ordered a 2012 Clad Proof Set, and got my order confirmation e-mail that evening. You know what happened next.

It's January 28th. I now have a complete 1999-2009 Clad Proof Quarters box/COA Set run, with all those coins in a Dansco 7146, and the full Clad Proof Sets from 2008 to 2012.

How did this happen?
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm addicted to the silver proof sets I am currently looking for the 2011 Silver Proof set. That will give me 2009 - 2012. I'll continue to work backwards
Dave
Pillar Of The Community
United States
602 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started buying the silver proof set each year in 2004. I will not buy the clad set. I cannot understand how a clad proof set can sell in some cases for a higher price than a silver set. Everything I hear from dealers is that clad proof sets are not worth anything except the current year. Maybe I live in the wrong area. But I know that the silver sets will always have a value and some day they will be worth a lot more than the clad sets, if only for the silver value.

I don't buy mint sets either, but I did buy the 2009 set because it had the 95% copper cents in it. But for some reason this set sells for half the price of the 2008 mint set (which I also have, but I won this as a prize). Why is that?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2162 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:10 am  Show Profile Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Kurrykid, you have 50+ posts and just pass the 14days membership restriction to put up a want list in the Buy/Trade/Sell section. At the height of silver of 2011, I bought 5 extra set of the 2011 Silver Proof Set..... and I have NONE of the 2012 Silver Proof Set......

Have anyone checked my Want List?
*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade.
My coins for sale
Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
602 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What was the final mintage of the 2012 silver proof set? I can't seem to find it on the mints website.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bruce...ti be honest, I wasn't even aware that these lists existed
Dave
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kurrykid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What was the final mintage of the 2012 silver proof set? I can't seem to find it on the mints website.

I pulled this from another forum...hopefully it's accurate:

MintNewsBlog reports that the mint has sold out of the 2012 Silver Proof Set with a mintage of just 393,757 sets.

HTH

Dave
Dave
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2593 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2013  01:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
393,757 was the reported 2012 Silver Proof Set mintage at the day of the sell-out.

The final mintage is 395,443.

Mint Stats 21 January 2012

The 2012 Clad Proof Set's final mintage is 794,002
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Edited by DNA
01/29/2013 01:47 am
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05