Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Replica Alaska Mint 1 oz. silver medallion?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  02:52 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add darcyrmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I received this as a gift from someone who knew I was into coins, something of his own. I was excited when I saw the look and feel of silver, plus it says so right on the coin. But when I checked online for photos, it didn't match up:
- There is no serial number on the edge
- The thickness is not equal
- On photos, there is no phrase "1 Troy Oz .999 Fine Silver" as shown on this coin (my reference photo: http://shop.alaskamint.com/2-oz-Off...-1200-01.htm )
Replica?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Arab Emirates
557 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  03:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BLadd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know darcy, it may still be silver.

Check the below link about 60% of the way down on the left.

There is an Alaska coin with a gold prospector on the obverse, the reverse is identical to yours.

http://www.rivercitycoins.com/silve...commems.html

Very nice looking coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  05:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been to the mint several times in the past few years I was stationed there and bought a few silver rounds and they all said .999 troy oz on them looking at the coin in the link and the pic you posted to me they look different it wouldn't surprise me if it was a replica I'll post a pic of my coin I got from there last summer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I got from AK last summer.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2676 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say that there thing is as good as gold.
Oh, that was daniel's piece.
Edited by fioti
01/26/2013 06:20 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mackwork to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edit - the link I found was already posted by the OP

Edited by mackwork
01/26/2013 07:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4951 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  10:06 am  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the mountain goat, nice coin. I found this.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alaska-Mint...em3cce64049a
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
have you checked it with a magnet?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1097 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
darcy, I just pulled out my Alaska Mint mountain goat round. Mine is a proof so it may be different. The obverse is similar, except yours has a larger ring between the rim and the design. Yours has the mint mark and signature in the same spot as mine. The real difference is on the reverse. All the elements are there, but on yours they look much more crude, the attention to detail is not there. Here is one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALASKA-MINT...em337f72c590

edit: added image for future reference.

Look at the dock and compare them. It just doesn't look right to me.

The fineness and weight should be on the edge too, not on the back.

Now is it a fake? I don't know. Maybe it is an earlier version. I do know these can go for a high premium amongst collectors. So there is motivation for counterfeiting.

edit:

Okay, so I looked at BLadd link. The prospector round has the same back as yours. Both were minted in 2001 so I am guessing that they may be different versions of the same reverse.

May Saint Eligius guide you in your quest.

Need something looked up? My Reference List.

Check out my Wish List.
Edited by allranger
01/26/2013 12:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2013  4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the signature the one we know is real the signature is crisp and readable and yours looks faint and not as bold I've seen a lot of the mints coins in person and they only sell the best I don't think they would have sold that in there store. That's just opinion check it with a magnet
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2013  11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darcyrmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Non-magnetic, but I still feel really skeptical.. As I said, the words "1 Troy oz..." on the shield side don't appear on the coin as shown by the mint. There is also NO serial number or words on the edge, just simple reeding. The thickness is also not even, and I just noticed today that there seems to be a "pucker", dent or sunken spot on one of the faces, seen as you move the coin and check the glare. It all says replica but that non-magnetism is keeping me from 100% declaring it that way. I'm thinking of doing a YouTube video (would be my first!) to demonstrate the coin and my thoughts..
Edited by darcyrmt
01/27/2013 11:16 pm
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  03:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darcyrmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Took the coin/medallion to a coin shop, 2 different workers said it was silver (neither took part in the other's conversation), so I guess that's good enough for me. Still no explanation for the differences noted from the pic from the mint.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2048 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you contacted the Alaska Mint and sent them your images? They should be able to give you the info you are seeking.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darcyrmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I hadn't, thanks I will definitely do that
Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2013  12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent lots of time and bought different coins and I've never seen them have coins there with those markings. I was there is AK for 3 years so I know that place pretty good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1417 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2013  01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks good to me.. If its silver then I guess that's all that matters.. Lol. I guess the Chinese copy everything these days, but not a lot of people have even heard of the Alaska mint... So I kinda doubt it'd be fake.. But who knows, I guess it's possible.
I have a few of these, I like the animal series a lot, some great renditions of animals I love with great details, they do a really good job with these coins/medallions. My fiancé absolutely LOVES them.. heres the first coin she ever bought... (below) I'm not sure if it has something to do with proof and non proof where the lettering is? I think the proofs have lettered edges and the regular's reeded? I'm not sure at all about that though..I very we'll could be wrong. The only ones we have are the gold plated proofs so I really can't compare the two, and honestly have no idea in the differences in proof/non proof.. I couldn't find anything online.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05