Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Between Scylla and Charybdis

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2814 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2013  09:33 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Being between Scylla and Charybdis is an idiom deriving from Greek mythology. Several other idioms, such as "on the horns of a dilemma", "between the devil and the deep blue sea", and "between a rock and a hard place" express the same meaning of "having to choose between two evils".

Dealer number 1 gives dealer number 2 a coin on consignment.
Dealer number 2 chases me down on the bourse floor to show it to me and asks "Are you interested?"
I buy the coin. The 1799 dollar which I brag about.
Turns out, dealer number 1 would have sold it to me as well.
But wait! This is not the sticky part.

Dealer number 1 asks me, "How much did you pay?"
I tell him: $xxxx.xx. Dealer number 1 then tells me that dealer number 2 told him that I paid $xxxx.xx MINUS $100!
I guess that there is no honor among thieves.

As both of the dealers have become my "go to" guys I felt quite annoyed with this. Actually I was sick to my stomach.
But I did not want to burn any bridges.

Saw them both last Sunday. Again all three of us together towards closing time. After two months I have gotten over the nausea over this affair.

I am watching both of them more closely. I was never unhappy with the purchase. Only the lying between so-called comrades in the business.

End of rant.

I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Learn More...
United States
21418 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2013  11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Not much more I can say.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1356 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2013  11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
White lies are part of the "business". I've always found it's best not to divulge buy and sell prices I've paid or received.
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2013  12:05 pm  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If by 'on consignment' you mean dealer 2 cheated dealer 1 out of some profit, that's quite dishonest.
Otherwise if it's just fibbing about the price, it's dishonest but less deplorable.
Either way dealer 2 seems to be the one worth being wary of.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1356 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2013  12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually in my mind Dealer #1 was the jerk. It's business as usual otherwise.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1356 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2013  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have explained why I stated that #1 was a jerk. He asked you how much you paid and then told you what the other dealer said you paid. Don't worry about it.
Pillar of the Community
Thailand
1381 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2013  1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thai-vic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dealers no.1 and no.2 are both there to make a profit. You just happened on the wrong dealer.
But I love the classical allusion. If I'd heard it before I had forgotten. Thanks for that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2814 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2013  2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some back story:
Dealer number 1 allowed me to keep his complete Barber, aka "V" nickel set overnight in my hotel room last September in Manchester, NH.
The next day, I bought three of them - trust between seller and buyer.
Dealer number 2 routinely lets me go through his box of "Just bought, not re-priced" coins.
Both give me decent deals.
I am beyond feeling caught. Just do not like lying among dealers.
But I suppose this is to be expected.
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05