Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 D Error Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2013  8:03 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mrsphxbabe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a 1986 D 1 cent us penny. On the back of the penny where it has the United States Of America- The last S on the States only shows it was half struck, and there is not an O for the O in Of. and the f in the word Of is only partially struck. There are some defects as well on the front of the coin, some missing or bubbles in the metal. I will work on getting a picture. But from the missing O, does this have any value other then face value?
thanks

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2013  9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Henry2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we need pics, by the sound of it it might be a grease filled die but if there is bubbles on the front it might just be environmental damage.
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2013  9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add talkcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Early Zincolns had trouble with bubbling in between the copper coating and zinc planchet... '83-'86, but the mint seemed to have figured out and fixed this problem by 1987. Snap some photos and post them.

....and to the CCF

Erik
Pillar of the Community
United States
2067 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2013  9:24 pm  Show Profile Check solotime's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

but
Edited by solotime
05/14/2013 9:24 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2013  10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrsphxbabe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11204 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2013  05:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Sorry to say it has no added value.Keep looking though there are plenty of coins out there with added value just waiting to be found.Good luck with your search.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2013  06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrsphxbabe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
why isn't it worth anything? it's an error coin. missing letters . can someone at least explain instead of just saying its worthless. That's what will help
thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1710 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2013  08:46 am  Show Profile Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the pics it looks abused...maybe with a straight on pic with better lighting a different opinion might result..wait for a bright day, take the pic in open shade (not in the sunlight) and the image will improve greatly.

...and try not to image a brown coin on a brown background. It doesn't help the image...

You reminded me of an interesting Lincoln I have so I made a little quiz...(separate thread)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11204 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2013  11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
why isn't it worth anything?
Because it is to minor of an error and in bad condition, IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11122 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2013  1:04 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Small portions of the design obscured by a clogged die strike are quite common and are an acceptable part of the minting process, that is why there is no value. The bubbles are from corrosion in the zinc core, very common on 1980s Zincolns.
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2013  1:32 pm  Show Profile Check Dave42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dave42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, the area in question is directly opposite the lower half of Lincoln's portrait, which is a high point on the coin. It is common for the area opposite this on the reverse to be weakly struck. I just pulled a 1987 out of my pocket that has similar weakness to what the original poster was describing. Very, very common, so no value.

Dave
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05