Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Post In a While - My New Uncleaned Lot!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
449 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  7:21 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Coinage123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello! This is my first post in a good few months due to a few personal problems however I have been keeping watch over the Ancients forum enjoying looking at some of the nice coins which have been posted
I bought my first uncleaned lot in ages from a UK detectorist as personally for £19.52 for all these Romans plus a few hammered it was well worth the money!
These are a few pictures I took before they under go their clean up(I doubt a few will need much by the looks of it!) and I'll keep the topic updated with my progress.
At first glance im seeing some nice Lyon(PLG) mint Constantinopolis commemoratives, a decent Helena Commemorative and possibly a Claudius invasion period AS imitation?
One coin which did stand out was the one individually pictured at the bottom, to me the bust looks very late roman or barbarous with the Romulus and Remus reverse?(Possibly PTR or PTA in ex?) To the right of the bust im also seeing "OMIA' however I could be wrong?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading :)
(Apologies pictures are a little blurry, I shot these at around 7-8pm and natural light was fading fast )

Learn More...
United States
13743 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  9:17 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
back, I hope all is OK now and we will see you here more often. Those look like some really nice coins with a lot of nice detail. You got them for a great price. The un-cleaned coins from the UK are so much better than what we are seeing here in the US.
Pillar of the Community
United States
521 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jcmworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice lot, looks like a good bunch with lots of potential.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2790 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2013  10:05 am  Show Profile Check bobbyhelmet's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice bunch for £20

The last one certainly looks barbarous, great bust on it.

The 'Claudius invasion period AS imitation' looks great too, whatever it is
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3518 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2013  11:01 am  Show Profile Check Ben's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice lot - very nice coins in there - I like the barbarous ones. The sestertius/dupondius is nice - perahsp its a barb too. I would enjoy owning that lot - good price.
Check my eBay Listings. Lots of stuff just gone up at 99p starting bid.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3390 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2013  1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

...that is neat, I don't think I've seen a barbarous rome city commemorative.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
880 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2013  5:40 pm  Show Profile Check Masis's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Masis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really interesting Lot.

In my opinion there is nothing really to clean, and if done it may flake off the Patinas.
The person who sold them would have cleaned them.
A wax on some would help to consolidate any flakiness.

The "Barbarous" type with the left facing bust and the "she-wolf and twins" reverse is really interesting.

Looking through Gilbert Askew's "The Coinage Of Roman Britain" on page 73, Chapter X "The Last Coins Of Roman Britain" he shows an example of an AE of Carausius II.

Rather than being "copies made by Barbarians" they are relics of the end of Roman Britain.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3518 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2013  8:41 pm  Show Profile Check Ben's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, cool, never heard of Carausius II...his coins must be super pricey. If carausius is pricey then wooooweee would his. (I checked, a really nice FEL TEMP, top condition, couldnt breach £2000, im shocked, but perhaps I should list my barb fel temps on eBay as 'Unresearched CARAUSIUS II? L@@K!!1!' and see how I do'

2 found at one site...must be popular with detectorists.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
449 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2013  07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinage123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses! Thats very interesting Masis, just like Ben I have never heard of Carausius II. As mine features one of the commemorative designs would that rule it out as being a one of the late emperors?
I have a few still soaking but quite a few are done. I'm in the process now of photographing them so I will post the best when I'm finished. On another note I have found my very first Valentinian II
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3518 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2013  07:50 am  Show Profile Check Ben's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find quite a few constantinopolis barbs.

Valentinian II? Cool, pretty late in the grand scheme of roman britain.

Could we get a picture of the sestertius/dupondius? ITs got the spear flinging reverse (I forget the legend) which is cool and it doesnt look official to me.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
449 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2013  09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinage123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heres a picture of the Claudius Ben:

And this is an extract from Spink which is what I believe it to be:

This is the Valentinian II which Im a little unsure of the mint. The mint mark looks a little like Arles(RIC 30b) however the division of VALENTINIANVS is between TINIA-NVS where mine shows the division at TINI-ANVS which would match that of Lyon.(That would also fit in with the majority of the other coins coming from the Lyon mint.)

I have managed to ID the majority of the group however I am a little puzzled by these three coins below:

1. My interpretation of the reverse seems to show a person on horseback which is a little puzzling to me?
Weighs 1.29grams and measures 14mm.

2. This one still has quite a bit of dirt of the reverse which Im in the process of cleaning. The legend is pretty much unreadable however the bust is pretty good. I recognise the face but can't remember who it was
Weighs 1.34grams and measures 14mm.

3. This one is tiny(11.5mm) so im guessing its quite a late roman Emperor? The only readable bit of the obverse legend is PFAVG and the reverse looks like 'VBLICA'
weighs 0.94grams and theres a size comparison with a US cent and a 5p.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3518 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2013  10:12 am  Show Profile Check Ben's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps no.1 is a barbaric FEL TEMP? Otherwise, the later emperors did issue types showing them on horseback, but larger than that (but what are barbarians for keeping size?)

No.2 is GLORIA EXERCITVS. What the emperor is, I dont know.

No.3 is SECVRITAS REIPBVBLICAE - perhaps theodosius, Arcadius or honorius?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05