Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1978 Jefferson Nickel - Proof without mint mark?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2013  6:28 pm Show Profile Check solotime's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found this nickel in my change. It caught my eyes once I saw the strange look it has. The nickel looks like a proof but not the DEEP CAM ones though. It looks like it might have met the mint marking progress but they must of not hit it hard enough to make it show. I don't know if it still counts as an error. Perhaps, the coin does show lots of circulation.

So does anyone know what it is?

I know if this is a real proof without mint-mark, it can be worth something

Bonus photo's:

Please keep in mind, these two photo's were under a light so lighting was changed on them.

Edited by solotime
08/09/2013 6:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11233 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2013  7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is or was a proof. Maybe someone buffed it to look extra shiny?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2013  7:31 pm  Show Profile Check solotime's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John ,that's one thing I'm afraid it can just be.

But, I not so sure if it is buffed though. If you ever saw a circulated proof, they kind of look the same as this one. I will let some other people share there thoughts.

Perhaps, John your very good at errors so I can't say your wrong. lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
515 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2013  7:36 pm  Show Profile Check jay4202472000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jay4202472000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it is just a nice nickel. It doesn't look like a proof planchet. The rims have a squared off look to them. Nice circulation find. Most mid '80's down I find in circulation have had a hard life.
Since it costs a lot to win and even more to lose, you and me are bound to spend some time wondering what to choose. - Grateful Dead, Deal
Pillar of the Community
United States
4979 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2013  8:36 pm  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hear the term "proof like" being bandied about with the Jeffersons. Maybe it's just a nice Jeff.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2338 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2013  9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first coin looks circulated with wear.

My guess would be the first coin was struck with a new die but circulated for a while.

The second coin later die state.

I'll leave it to the experts.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11233 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2013  05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
solotime,

Quote:
If you ever saw a circulated proof
I have found about five or so "impaired proofs" (circulated proof coins) so I do know what a circulated proof coin looks like. I may be wrong but your coin just does not strike me as ever being a proof strike.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
9076 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2013  08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jeckel, both coins are the same coin, note the cut in the field below the chin on both.

Looks like a lightly polished, well struck coin from moderate to heavily worn dies. No chance at being a proof, or even proof-like.
Edited by Conder101
08/10/2013 08:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2013  11:36 am  Show Profile Check solotime's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright everyone I understand now.

Thanks for all your comments. Sometimes things aren't what they just might seem like. But if you read carefully, I only thought it might have been. I didn't get out of my way with the coin. In hands it looks different though.

@John, I hope you didn't get offended on that comment, I wasn't sure how to say did you ever find a proof that was circulated.

@Conder, I will just throw the nickel away then. Cleaned ones are worthless.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11233 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2013  2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
solotime,
No offence at all,just wanted to let you know that I have found proofs in circulation and that I knew what I was talking about (at least in this case,lol)
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
2338 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2013  5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jeckel, both coins are the same coin, note the cut in the field below the chin on both.

OK I see it now. I thought there were 2 different coins: the first with smooth fields and the second with rough / porous fields which made the OP think the first coin was a proof.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2013  6:01 pm  Show Profile Check solotime's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I been wondering, was it a good idea to post this coin? Or was it a wait of your times? (I mean everyone who posted)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4979 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2013  6:19 pm  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a waste, good learning experience.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
515 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2013  8:27 pm  Show Profile Check jay4202472000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jay4202472000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No question is a waste of time if you are learning something new.
Since it costs a lot to win and even more to lose, you and me are bound to spend some time wondering what to choose. - Grateful Dead, Deal
Learn More...
United States
17188 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2013  8:53 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think about it this way, solotime. Although there were only 13 posts in the thread (before this one), it had 212 reads. The overwhelming majority of them were people who chose not to post; many probably lurkers who aren't even registered. You could have just educated a dozen different people holding a similar coin.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2013  9:52 pm  Show Profile Check solotime's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot guys! I just wanted to make sure because sometimes I get those thoughts of waiting peoples time.

Just and update, the nickel is back into circulation.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05