Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trajan silver "Spqr Optimo Principi" - HELP

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Poland
43 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  07:07 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ultra to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Can anyone help me with this coin. Firstable, does it look genuine? What kind of type it is? What is it's value?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  07:55 am  Show Profile Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the photograph it appears it is real. Denarius of the Emperor Trajan in VF/XF. Strange lack of small detail on the reverse. For being in such buff condition I would expect to see more of Victory's face and the body seems oddly rather smooth and lacking in fine lines. The lower drapery, wings and palm branch all have nice lines. Upper body arm head and wreath are almost smooth.
Cogito Ergo Spud ......"I think therefore I yam"
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8900 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with your reservations, but I will still go with my first inclination when I first saw it:
"Yeah, it's a good coin".

"Poor effort by the celeator," was another of my thoughts.
Style otherwise OK.
Those minor flan splits are pretty hard to imitate like that with a modern production.
Poland
43 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ultra to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell me it's approx. value please :)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2597 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  10:18 am  Show Profile Check pishpash's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you google "trajan silver denarius) you will find all sorts of prices. You won't get a dealers price, but check out past sales on eBay, look for one in similar condition as yours with a similar reverse.
VENDI, VIDI, VISA
I came, I saw, I shopped
Learn More...
United States
13822 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  11:02 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the coin is real, but IMO it may have been polished.
Poland
43 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ultra to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller is asking for it 230 US dollars and says it's worth around 700. Is it true?
Learn More...
United States
13822 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  11:31 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way too much. In it's condition the most I'd be will to pay is $35.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2013  11:33 am  Show Profile Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 'suckers only' it should read. No the coin is not worth anything near that price. I have bought a Trajan denarius in the not to distant past for $25 in a slightly worse condition. The victory reverse is not rare for a 'Generalissimo' Emperor who fought more than his fair share of wars. In this shape I could see a dealer asking anywhere between $50 and $150 (the former if he wanted to sell it the later if he liked the way it looked in his case). This is a nice coin but if you are a patient buyer you might find one just as nice for under $75.
Cogito Ergo Spud ......"I think therefore I yam"
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05