Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bowers offers a $1000 reward for 1975-D Nickel variety

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5194 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2013  05:31 am Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Caveat - Read through the article, this is out before the print edition by a week, so start the searching!

http://www.coinworld.com/articles/m...ed-mint-mark (Full text below)

I will donate $1,000 to a numismatic nonprofit in the name of whoever first sends me a 1975-D Jefferson 5-cent coin. It has to be a certain variety and in Mint State, however. Read on!

In the Dec. 24, 2012, issue of Coin World, I noticed the Readers Ask column, "Case of the moving Mint mark," pointing out that the 1975-D Jefferson 5-cent coin, total mintage 410,875,300, was normally found with the D Mint mark downward from the right side of the 5 of the date, but one die had the D high and between the 5 and the Jefferson portrait. This is, indeed, a common coin -- the entire mintage for all 1975-D 5-cent coins is more than the total of all men, women and children in the United States!

While Mint marks vary considerably on many United States coins, including those of the 20th century, the position of the D near the portrait was extreme, at least in my view.

This piqued my curiosity, and I contacted Mike Diamond, who provided the images for the column. It turned out he had an example for sale, which I purchased for $25. It arrived in due course, is illustrated here, and is in what I would call Extremely Fine to About Uncirculated grade.

Then began a further search, including mention in one of my columns. Did someone have a roll of them? Just one other turned up. Randolph Grimes sent me an image of a worn example he owned.

As I write these words, the misplaced Mint mark 1975-D Jefferson 5-cent coin seems to be very rare, probably 400 times more so than a regular 1975-D 5-cent coin as suggested above. On the other hand, probably only a tiny fraction of people owning 1975-D 5-cent coins know of the variety. I expect other examples are waiting to be identified.

If this were to be listed in A Guide Book of United States Coins, it would become well known and, in time, its relative rarity could be confirmed. Certainly, more are around. It seems that it will remain relatively scarce.

I dreamed up this idea: I will donate $1,000 to one of three causes -- the American Numismatic Association Young Numismatist program, American Numismatic Society library fund or the Smithsonian's Dick Doty initiative -- in the name of the first Coin World reader (only the first finder, who also gets to select the nonprofit to receive the money) who can supply me with a nice Mint State example of the misplaced D coin.

Q. David Bowers is chairman emeritus of Stack's Bowers Galleries and numismatic director of Whitman Publishing LLC. He can be reached at his private email, qdbarchive@metrocast.net, or at Q. David Bowers LLC, Box 1804, Wolfeboro, NH 03894.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2013  08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well it made me look at my jeffs sadly no luck
Pillar of the Community
United States
9036 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2013  10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, I have to admit that I have never seen one with the mintmark that far off.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2013  11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canuckyank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is funny. I just found one roll hunting day before yesterday, but it is nowhere near mint state.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6026 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2013  12:00 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stopped reading after the "I will donate $1,000" part. It's not a reward for the coin, it's a donation...I'll pass.

But I had to look since I have a set of Jefferson nickels in 2x2's that I have for years...my 75-D is not the type he is looking for, but it has a nice golden tone!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
10/24/2013 5:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2013  1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ErrorCoins222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many, many strange and rare varieties out there on modern coinage that go unnoticed by many, many collectors. Why is he so concerned about this particular one?
Edited by ErrorCoins222
10/24/2013 1:41 pm
Learn More...
United States
17151 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2013  4:40 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why is he so concerned about this particular one?

He's seizing upon a random poorly-known variety, and using it to achieve greater publicity for variety collectors. We wouldn't be talking about it without him, would we?
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5194 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2013  02:13 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I stopped reading after the "I will donate $1,000" part. It's not a reward for the coin, it's a donation...I'll pass.

Reward or donation, it's still a nice gesture on his part I think. A donation made to any of those groups is a good thing, I wouldn't mind it myself to have my name associated with any of them, personally I'd pick the ANA Young Numismatist program, as it enriched me more than $1000.00 if I had the extra money I'd donate anyways. It's a great program that really changes many YN's lives for the better. I wouldn't be the collector I am today without it and winning a scholarship back in high school to attend the ANA Summer seminar was a "life changing event" for me.

Alas, I have not found the variety Dave is looking for in my collection either.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
725 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2013  06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 7TF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many, many strange and rare varieties out there on modern coinage that go unnoticed by many, many collectors. Why is he so concerned about this particular one?

Where do you read or find out about these varieties? Is there some books I can read or websites I can visit to start looking for the many many strange and rare varieties in modern coinage?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3743 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2013  07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't agree with you more westcoin. I joined a junior numismatic club when I was 12 and would love to be able to give back with a $1K donation in my name. Unfortunately, the nickle in my mint set is a normal mm position.
Pillar of the Community
872 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2013  12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Collector-Corner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a free marketing ploy. They should give $500.00 to the finder, and match that to the finders' favorite non-profit organization that deals in coins and currency.
So your supposed to give up your coin, and he benefits from it, and a non-profit as well.

I more than likely have one of these, But I am not willing to dig it up for something that may or may not be returned, or bought.

The marketing act will work, eventually, and word of mouth is working, but eventually will die on the vine.
Edited by Collector-Corner
10/25/2013 12:03 pm
Learn More...
United States
17151 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2013  12:05 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where does it say he's going to keep the coin? This is Q. David Bowers we're talking about here, quite possibly the single-greatest living numismatist, not some corner shyster. I'm having a really difficult time comprehending the hate here.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05