Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Price Guide for Proof Silver Eagles?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
BamaBlue
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2013  9:57 pm Show Profile Check BamaBlue's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've recently become interested in the American Silver Eagles and want to begin a collection of Proof ASE's. Prices around the web are highly variable, so before I get started, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good online source for pricing?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2013  10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numismedia.com (they have a section for ASE's)

But I still think completed eBay auctions give a better "real time" value..
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2013  11:12 pm  Show Profile Check BamaBlue's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Nathan... I'll check-out that site. I've also been looking at prices at sites like Silvertowne and Coins by Bobbie to get a better idea about retail prices.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8953 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2013  11:28 pm  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Nathan.

Silvertown has a lot of great deals, their ASEs arent one of them in my opinion
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2013  11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
those companies have pretty large markups... Regular bullion they're ok (like bars/rounds, not ASE bullion), but the premium on the ASE proofs is rather high. Actually, aside of the generic bullion I find them to be rather high on quite a bit.

Numismedia is my go to price guide for all US coins... I believe many of out members use it as there main guide as well (but I very well could be wrong), Its usually still a bit high, like most guides, but rather accurate compared to, say, the Red Book for example.

I like the completed eBay listings because they show what people are really paying, right now. Basically what the true "market" price is... Here and now.

My LCS actually has pretty good deals on ASE's as well (all types).. So you may want to try to check a store... Get rid of that shipping fee.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2013  12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also use Numismedia quite a bit as well as completed listings on eBay and Heritage. I'll occasionally use my Red Book, but I always factor in that the prices are way higher than reality.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2771 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2013  04:53 am  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin World has a wonderful price guide on their site. Subscribe and you get a great magazine ( I know, how old fashioned of me. I like magazines still) and a great site as well. The values listed are fair, middle of the road retail values and will give you a good idea of cost. If you pay less than what is listed, you are not getting ripped.
It is could've, would've or should've, not could of, would of or should of.
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2013  10:09 am  Show Profile Check BamaBlue's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys! Great tips. I'm getting some good information on eBay and Numismedia right now. I'm still torn whether to collect the Mint packaged sets, or the slabbed proofs... Beautiful coins, I used to shy away from them because I saw it as a facimile of the Libety Walking Half.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8953 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2013  02:06 am  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the slabbed better since you can play with them and not have to worry about hurting them. If you go that route Silvertowne usually has some pretty good deals on the 70s when they first come out and if theyre slow to sell. eBay is probably the best if you go for the 69s, but you can find good deals for both on them.

For me at least the OGP gets old after you have one or two in it. Its just a lot of boxes to open up to look at them and takes up a lot of space but some people really like it and to each their own.

Quote:
Actually, aside of the generic bullion I find them to be rather high on quite a bit.

I agree. Their slabbed stuff seems to be their best deals usually especially the 70s. Some of the specials they run on them blow eBay out of the water for certain things. They have a real good selection of world coins too but their prices over all are real hit or miss
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2013  1:49 pm  Show Profile Check BamaBlue's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basebal... you always give good advise. Your comments pushed me off the fence and I bit the bullet... I decided to collect the PR70 slabs. My first purchase and I think I got a good deal. I got a 2006P PCGS Reverse Proof (PR70) 20th Anniversary Eagle for $375 shipped. I've been looking at various sites and this was $95 cheaper than the lowest price (Silver Towne).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8953 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2013  4:05 pm  Show Profile Check basebal21's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bama you have phenominal taste. The Reverse proof eagle is one of my favorite modern coins and in my opinion by far and away the best silver eagle hands down. Even if you just got those that would be a very impressive set on its own.

With the 70s for the proof series some of the 90s dates you may want to go 69 though its been a while since I check the pricing for those. 1994 is an absolutely brutal one for a 70 if I remember right.

You did good on the 06. eBay theyre all over the place as always anywhere from 325-500 with one even at 700. The ones in auction right now are all sitting around 300 with several days left. The RPs are definitely the hardest to find a really good deal on.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05