Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nickels...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2014  12:43 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello everyone, So I have decided to venture into the world of nickels. And of course the first thing to come up is the "steps" im digging through my boxes of sliced up mint sets and have found something I hope someone has a answer to. It seems the proof coins are all full steps makes sense to me. The 1965-1967 nickels vary in full steps or not, the MS coins have a large variance but I do see the occasional full step circulation strikes.
1.- proof coin not full step would be odd?
2. -1965-1967 a full step is desirable? And perhaps kinda rare?
3. Mint set nickels you just gotta be lucky for full step?
Any thoughts? Thanks for any answer I am just starting this. And of course dreaming of finding all full step coins!

Its the journey not the destination!! Enjoy the ride!! Live everyday and leave a legacy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2014  12:04 pm  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You absolutely correct by stating that mid-60's full steppers are prohibitively rare. I've only seen a few early die state examples sell in the thousands.
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2014  12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof nickels *should* have six full steps, although I suppose that there could be partial-step proofs in years where quality control was more slipshod. All proofs since the late 60s should certainly have full steps.

Where are the '65-67 nickels from? SMS or circulation? Circulation strikes are poorly made as a rule (same reason they suspended mint marks--to discourage collecting), so full steps on any of those would be quite a find. The SMS coins, while not a proof per se, were still made with better dies than the circulation strikes, and should typically have at least partial steps.

As for mint sets, I'm afraid I'm not an expert on those. My understanding is that the Mint uses new dies to make the coins, so they *should* all have full steps, although it's again subject to Mint quality standards for that particular year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2014  3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info thank you!! Theanks very much
Its the journey not the destination!! Enjoy the ride!! Live everyday and leave a legacy!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12917 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2014  4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd no one mentioned that we are discussing Jefferson nickels. Hopefully that is the coin we are talking about. Not to many other Nickels are famous for full steps. Not many steps on a Indian Head Nickel.
I have 6 completed sets of Jefferson nickels. Set #1 is as close to all full steps as possible. All are from change except the Proofs of course. Yet looking at them recently I noticed few actually do have full steps and they were taken from change however by that I mean over many years always looking for the best ones. It is odd too that regardless of how perfect such a completed set is, the value is really not to impressive. Possibly one of the worst US coins for appreciation, value and resale. Always wondered why.
My suggestion is if now intested in Nickels, change to Indian Head/Buffalo Nickels. Naturally more difficult and more expemsive but well worth it at the end.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2014  12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have a scientific method for collecting whatever excites us at the moment. We really enjoy the hobby and todays special is jeffersons. We went roll hunting out of ten dollars we got 1940-1944d-1954s-1957d plus a gob of fillers 60-s70's-80's rolls and our mint sets were going to get some more rolls soon and get some more the LCS has all the rest we probably will need its fun filling books! Im sure there is some tougher key dates and of course the varieties but for now book #9 is 50% complete!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2014  12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
3. Mint set nickels you just gotta be lucky for full step?

Depends on the year. Now a days just like DCAM has become the norm for proofs, full steps occurs more often than not with the improvement in minting technology. Post 2000 mint sets should have it, in the 1990s theres was a pretty good chance and the further you go back the less likely it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2014  9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found a 1965 sms full step nickel should I get excited?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2014  11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest getting a book

"A guide book of Buffalo and Jefferson nickels"

BY Q. David Bowers

It has good information about each date and mint Jefferson
nickel. Also information on how rare each is, in relation
to full steps.

Jefferson nickels are one of my favorite series to collect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2014  02:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks GR58! Much appreciated!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2014  02:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 65 SMS arent that rare in fullsteps except in the highest grades, so it would really depend on what it would grade
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05