Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

kennedy half 50th anniversary

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
82 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2014  7:07 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add peanutbutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just realised that 2014 will be the 50th anniversary for the Kennedy half dollar and was wondering if anyone has heard of a design change or any kind of special set they will be releasing this year?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2174 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2014  7:25 pm  Show Profile Check CoinCollector2012's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am pretty sure that there has been talk about it but nothing has been confirmed.
current sets
mercury dimes(38/72)
7070 type set(33/42)
park quarters caught up!
Washington quarters with proofs (111-178)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1965 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2014  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The US Mint has indicated that it will be releasing one or more special sets featuring the Kennedy half-dollar, but there are no plans to change the design of the coin.

I've read that two-, three- and four-coin sets are under consideration. My favorite is the four-coin set that would feature four silver Reverse Proof coins, with one coin struck at each US Mint facility (P, D, S and W).

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Edited by commems
01/20/2014 8:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2014  9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peanutbutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 4 coin set does sound nice. Do you remember the site you read thst on. Id love to see some pictures. Or do you remember the price range so I can set aside some money
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2014  9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Grey_squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't wait
Pillar of the Community
United States
531 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2014  11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but there are no plans to change the design of the coin.

This is one of the stupidest things I ever heard of. They redesigned the penny for a special anniversary in 2009-10. They redesign the nickel for a special anniversary in I believe 2004-06. And they did several redesigns of three quarter programs in 1999-2020 with 4 designs released every year until 2020. They've got two, NOT "one", but TWO dollar coin redesign programs going, with a total of 5 redesigns each year coming out in I believe 2009-2016 for the Prez Bux, and I have no idea how long it will last for the Sac Bux, and the dollar coin barely circulates, and I know that, like halves, dollar coins are only minted for collector reasons now. So you are not going to tell me that the U.S. Mint couldn't have minted a four reverse redesign coin program, with one design released at each quarter of the year, then go to a final design for 2015, and continue to mint that design until if the Kennedy half survives a 100th anniversary, just like the penny or the nickel. But just minting a set of halves out of silver and/or with certain special mint marks, is a worthless idea to me, as long as the design stays the same. "Ooh, ah! Its the same design, but its made of silver and it has a special mint mark on it, but there's no design change!" Booooooorrrring.
Edited by Fox
01/21/2014 01:40 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1470 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2014  11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Fox: you rip me up, I have to honestly say I enjoy most delightfully your candid commentary and brilliant ideas when I run across them on this forum... Maybe Congress can authorize a series of four or five changing reverses per year for the half featuring, ahem, famous dogs or what have you. An idea which you wrote about on another thread some time ago. Because he (JFK) certainly was one (a dog) to the female gender during his lifetime. Lol.
Pillar of the Community
United States
856 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2014  06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see the mint rolling in the 1976 reverse on this set as well. Perhaps 2 reverse proofs - one of each reverse as well as the mint marks of all 4 mints.

Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2014  10:18 am  Show Profile Check billymac11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a great rant Fox, it made me smile. Spot on.

Of course, the mint can only go as far as their authorizing legislation. Without a specific law from congress, I think all they can do is play around at the margins with wussy little variations like metal content, mint marks, and over-engineered/overpriced packaging. Blame the representatives from Massachusetts for not championing their native son.
54 of 72 in my 7070.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8837 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2014  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think all they can do is play around at the margins with wussy little variations like metal content, mint marks, and over-engineered/overpriced packaging.

Can't play with metal content, that requires legislation. Currently the Kennedy is only authorized to be struck in coppernickel clad and 90% silver for collector coins, and it is possible the 90% may only be for proof collector coins. They COULD change the designs if the Sec of the Treasury authorized it under the coinage act of 1890, but I can't see him doing an end run around Congress. That just leaves playing with finishes, "special sets", or maybe S and W circulation quality strikes for a set etc. No design or composition changes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
856 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2014  2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"but I can't see him doing an end run around Congress"

Why not...that seems to be the popular process in Washington these days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2014  03:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ASLAN TVorlon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Who is making this junk? The Chinese?"
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=167391

Are they planning on adding a JFK half to the Walker on that link?
It's all about the THRILL of the hunt for me. That Bright White Slap in the face of SILVER in a sea of Clad. Stick around, there are Dime Devotees, Quarter Hoarders, Half Grabbers, and Dollar Dabblers aplenty.
I'm a Nickel Nut my self. Penny Pinchers all, and proud of it!
MY happiest find... http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=166172 I mean the CAT!.
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2014  07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They should send it out with a bang. How about a series with all of JFK's women on the back? You know, Marylin and the rest.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2014  12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ASLAN TVorlon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Marylin and the rest

Even at face value that would be one of the most valuable collections ever
It's all about the THRILL of the hunt for me. That Bright White Slap in the face of SILVER in a sea of Clad. Stick around, there are Dime Devotees, Quarter Hoarders, Half Grabbers, and Dollar Dabblers aplenty.
I'm a Nickel Nut my self. Penny Pinchers all, and proud of it!
MY happiest find... http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=166172 I mean the CAT!.
Learn More...
United States
21302 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2014  4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, we need to end this idea right now before it crosses the boundary of what is appropriate for a family friendly forum.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2014  7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chevelle7167 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to see them do a 4 coin set. S mint 90% proof and reverse proof, and D mint and P mint 90% uncirculated. One can dream. If they do that 4 coin set, and have it for like $79, I will buy several.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05