Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

AU/BU/UNC wheat cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2014  11:56 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello all, so I have been for awhile working on a au/bu/unc Wheat cent collection. I am down to page 1,2 of my dansco book, I have seen a 1909 s vdb in this condition seller said he would take 1,000 for it.anyways I am just wondering if anyone has a collection like this or has been considering a collection like this. Oddly enough. I am buying them in reverse order. Counting down to the first coin. More or less nice red/brown cents culling out all dark coins. And on page 3 I need the first 8 coins as well

Its the journey not the destination!! Enjoy the ride!! Live everyday and leave a legacy!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1552 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2014  12:07 pm  Show Profile Check KenKat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I am working on exactly this set - same color range and also doing it in reverse chronological order as well. I am down to needing the following coins:

27-S
26-S
24-D
24-S
22-D
21-S
18-S
17-D
17-S
15-S
13-S
12-S
09-S VDB

My 09-S and 14-D are VG brown coins for now. Maybe someday I will upgrade them; the 09-S is doable in uncirculated but the 14- D is outrageous - more than an 09-S VDB in that grade.

I have found these remaining coins to be very expensive and hard to even find available to purchase in red/brown uncirculated grades. Very little left on my list can be had for under $200, with many pushing $500 or more. Definitely a lesson in patience.
My 7070 US Type Set
My 7100 Lincoln Cent Set (pics a little out of date - ok, really out of date...)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2014  2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome kenkat!!
Its the journey not the destination!! Enjoy the ride!! Live everyday and leave a legacy!
Learn More...
United States
17297 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2014  06:54 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have seen a 1909 s vdb in this condition seller said he would take 1,000 for it.

For that kind of money it needs to be a nice AU55 in a reputable slab, or you need to be absolutely sure of the authenticity of a really high-priority target for counterfeiters. Not saying it's impossible; just advising caution and forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ambro51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharpen you eye for cleaned/dipped coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11432 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  11:52 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For that kind of money it needs to be a nice AU55 in a reputable slab, or you need to be absolutely sure of the authenticity of a really high-priority target for counterfeiters. Not saying it's impossible; just advising caution and forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
2177 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2014  9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, believe most collectors of the Lincoln series are in the same boat.

Of the 140 Lincoln cents (no varieties, double dies, or mint errors), I am down the 17 coins that don't exist in my set. The 14 D may never get upgraded, because of cost. Well over half are raw. Of the the very common coins, I have just not seen "the one" for my set. Of the 123 coins in my set, the average grade (raw and slabbed) is 63.5. The set is NOT red, but a mixture of BN, RB, and Red. Have looked at as many coins as possible to find the best at the most reasonable (NOT inflated pricing!!). I am close...very close. Good luck!

11 D (needs upgrade from AU55)
14 D (maybe upgrade from XF someday...maybe!)
14 S (raw, XF)
19 D (raw 63rb)
19 S (raw 62rb)
20 D need
20 S need
21 S (need upgrade from NGC 55)
23 S need
24 D (need upgrade AU55)
26 D (need upgrade AU55)
26 S (need upgrade AU58)
27 D (need upgrade AU55)
36 D need
45 D need
48 S need
50 need
51 S need
52 S need
55 D need
56 need
57 need
57 D need
58 D need
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2014  10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple 58d's in amazing condition a roll of 56d's that are amazing I posted some new ones I got last weekend in the variety section that are unc or au that are RB or red don't have that down to a science yet I just look for really nice copper cents
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05