Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

AU/BU/UNC wheat cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2014  11:56 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello all, so I have been for awhile working on a au/bu/unc Wheat cent collection. I am down to page 1,2 of my dansco book, I have seen a 1909 s vdb in this condition seller said he would take 1,000 for it.anyways I am just wondering if anyone has a collection like this or has been considering a collection like this. Oddly enough. I am buying them in reverse order. Counting down to the first coin. More or less nice red/brown cents culling out all dark coins. And on page 3 I need the first 8 coins as well

Its the journey not the destination!! Enjoy the ride!! Live everyday and leave a legacy!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1540 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2014  12:07 pm  Show Profile Check KenKat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I am working on exactly this set - same color range and also doing it in reverse chronological order as well. I am down to needing the following coins:

27-S
26-S
24-D
24-S
22-D
21-S
18-S
17-D
17-S
15-S
13-S
12-S
09-S VDB

My 09-S and 14-D are VG brown coins for now. Maybe someday I will upgrade them; the 09-S is doable in uncirculated but the 14- D is outrageous - more than an 09-S VDB in that grade.

I have found these remaining coins to be very expensive and hard to even find available to purchase in red/brown uncirculated grades. Very little left on my list can be had for under $200, with many pushing $500 or more. Definitely a lesson in patience.
My 7070 US Type Set
My 7100 Lincoln Cent Set (pics a little out of date - ok, really out of date...)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2014  2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome kenkat!!
Its the journey not the destination!! Enjoy the ride!! Live everyday and leave a legacy!
Learn More...
United States
16685 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2014  06:54 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have seen a 1909 s vdb in this condition seller said he would take 1,000 for it.

For that kind of money it needs to be a nice AU55 in a reputable slab, or you need to be absolutely sure of the authenticity of a really high-priority target for counterfeiters. Not saying it's impossible; just advising caution and forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ambro51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharpen you eye for cleaned/dipped coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11167 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2014  11:52 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For that kind of money it needs to be a nice AU55 in a reputable slab, or you need to be absolutely sure of the authenticity of a really high-priority target for counterfeiters. Not saying it's impossible; just advising caution and forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
2077 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2014  9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, believe most collectors of the Lincoln series are in the same boat.

Of the 140 Lincoln cents (no varieties, double dies, or mint errors), I am down the 17 coins that don't exist in my set. The 14 D may never get upgraded, because of cost. Well over half are raw. Of the the very common coins, I have just not seen "the one" for my set. Of the 123 coins in my set, the average grade (raw and slabbed) is 63.5. The set is NOT red, but a mixture of BN, RB, and Red. Have looked at as many coins as possible to find the best at the most reasonable (NOT inflated pricing!!). I am close...very close. Good luck!

11 D (needs upgrade from AU55)
14 D (maybe upgrade from XF someday...maybe!)
14 S (raw, XF)
19 D (raw 63rb)
19 S (raw 62rb)
20 D need
20 S need
21 S (need upgrade from NGC 55)
23 S need
24 D (need upgrade AU55)
26 D (need upgrade AU55)
26 S (need upgrade AU58)
27 D (need upgrade AU55)
36 D need
45 D need
48 S need
50 need
51 S need
52 S need
55 D need
56 need
57 need
57 D need
58 D need
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2014  10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple 58d's in amazing condition a roll of 56d's that are amazing I posted some new ones I got last weekend in the variety section that are unc or au that are RB or red don't have that down to a science yet I just look for really nice copper cents
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05