Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1956 Gem BU Red Lincoln Cent slabbed by National Numismatic Certification  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
78 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2016  6:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a very common date, but I am having trouble locating a 1956 Gem BU Lincoln Cent slabbed by NNC (National Numismatic Certification). I purchased a set from a dealer, but this Philidelphia Mint date was missing. The dealer said he was not aware the coin was missing from the set, and could not locate it. He did not have another one, so I just let it go. It is a minor thing, but I would like to find the slab to complete the set. I am hoping someone has an extra one. I only asked that the coin is Gem BU Red and slabbed by NNC. I could stick a PCGS slab in there, but then the set would look funny. Thanks. :)

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
6050 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2016  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all due respect NNC slabs are considered basement slabs. that's not to say there aren't some nice coins in nnc slabs. Not sure what set you are talking about, but a ste of coins in PCGS or NGC, and possibly ANACS would be considered better my most.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13441 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2016  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Completely agree. A set of high-grade NNC late date LWCs would have little value in the open market.
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5625 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2016  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah Ed but OP wants all his coins to be in sinc. to conclude his set. Understandable .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
6050 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2016  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe if the OP sends one to NNC they will slab it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2016  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe if the OP sends one to NNC they will slab it.

Make sure you tell them what grade you want it at too...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5625 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2016  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah , After you get your 56 NNC slab then consider PCGS OR NGC for your future coins . most of us don't care for NNC because they profusely overgrade .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2016  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be very honest, I paid what you would expect to pay for ungraded BU Red Lincoln Wheats from this time period (1940 to 1958 PDS). They are very common. I am not a big fan of slabs myself, but the set contained nice coins graded mostly MS-68 Red by NNC, and they were only $1 each. Currently, I have an ungraded coin filling the hole for the missing 1956 in a standard slab, but I would like to have one in a NCC holder for esthetic reasons.

I know some of you are coin dealers, so I was hoping someone might accidentally have a 1956 Lincoln Cent in an NNC holder sitting in your discount box. I have seen several Lincoln Cents in NNC holders in $1 boxes at the coin shows I attend, but none dated 1956 (Plain). I found a 1956-D, but not the Philadelphia Mint. If someone comes across one in a cheap lot you purchased, and you do not want it, let me know. I would like to have it.

I could send the coin I have to be graded by NNC, but that would be a waste of money as you have all stated. That is assuming the company still exist. I thought I read they went out of business, but I do not know for sure. I just want everything to match in my set otherwise I would not even care.

Thanks for answering. :)

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14092 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2016  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't worry about a "matching" set of NNC slabs. Their slabs are worthless in the retail market and provide no "added value". Personally, I'd break them all out and put them into AirTite holders.....assuming they are even worthy of that.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
821 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2016  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worse case, you're looking at $10.75 shipped to have a coin graded by them if it comes to that. If you do, be sure to ask if the slab will match what you have.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4083 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2016  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about a "matching" set of NNC slabs. Their slabs are worthless in the retail market and provide no "added value".

This. And when I see a coin in an NNC slab, it raises red flags for me about the coin's condition/originality. I'm not likely to touch it online and I'd want it out of the holder in person.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2016  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think everyone is missing the point. pasasap seems to understand perfectly well that NNC slabs add no value. He simply has a set in those slabs that he likes and is missing that one matching coin. That would make my eye twitch as well. This one isn't about value or anything else. Its simply about OCD.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2016  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL @ OCD ;):)

Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just checking to see if anyone has a 1956 Lincoln Cent Gem BU Red slabbed by NNC. I still cannot find one, and the set looks funny without one. I really do not want to pay $20 for a 1956 Wheat penny just to fill the hole. Let me know if anyone has one. Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The missing cent was probably the only one that was close to the label grade and has been sold.

If only NNC had a population report that would let you know how good your chances of finding a replacement might be.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05