Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM "DNA" Authenicated Coins  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
457 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  12:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking around on the RCM website and came across this information so I thought I'd bring it up for everyone's opinion.

World's first "DNA" authenticated coins — Working with a private partner, the Mint has developed and patented a process called Digital Non-Reactive Activation (DNA) which reads the unique surface structure of every coin to create a unique digital "fingerprint". This data is stored in a database and confirms the authenticity of every coin manufactured by the Mint even as the coin experiences normal wear during its life cycle. This technology can be used to authenticate all manner of circulation, collector and bullion coins

Will this help collectors?

Cheers Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3393 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if tech works, who has the resources to purchase the other end to confirm, as we seen with fake PAMP bars and such unless there's a consorted effort to combat fakes, they will always be a step ahead.
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What next? Coin collecting has gone from coins to slabs to digital fingerprints.

The only fingerprints I want on my coins are mine.
Holding them (carefully) in my hands is a big part of the enjoyment I get from collecting. I don't like slabs because I can't see the coins through the plastic. I still keep mine in little paper (acid free) envelopes so I can take them out and enjoy them.

I know counterfeiting is a big problem, but its getting to where often more money is spent on certifying a coin than on the coin itself. I know it will never happen, but I wish we could go back to the days before slabs, and when the grade was a description not a number.

Sigh... Those were the good old days.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
769 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Phil, hate the slabbing of coins. I'd rather spend the money on a nice silver dollar than slabbing a silver dollar.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1048 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Check TheCoinHunter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the first coins to leverage this technology will be the gold bullion maple leafs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1179 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a waste of time and money by the Mint. Unless they use this to shut down counterfeiters, it is worthless. No coin that the mint produces now or has produced during the last few decades is ever going to be a "collector" coin that needs fingerprints. Please excuse me if I stepped on some toes.

If the RCM would get off their butts and actually do something constructive to stop counterfeiting and foreign imports, anything that they do to try to put lipstick on a pig still leaves you with a pig.
Edited by okiecoiner
01/07/2017 5:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2713 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No coin that the mint produces now or has produced during the last few decades is never going to be a "collector" coin that needs fingerprints.

You're going to get in trouble if tWoonie-coiner reads your last post.......but I kind of agree with you..So now we're both in for it...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6476 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe they have had this technology available since about 2004, but it's like john100 said no one has the resources to purchase the required equipment at the other end.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6802 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just silly. I can't think of one good reason for this.
Valued Member
Canada
457 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting comments So far. I thought it would be embraced as a good measure.
I think this technology is in it's infancy and I guess I let my imagination go.
Perhaps in twenty years when you buy a coin you"ll be able to confirm it's a RCM product with the swipe of your phone circulating coin or NCLT.

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
444 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2017  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Sigh... Those were the good old days.

Brainstorm! Implant a chip in coin.
Store in said chip purchaser's retina info on it,
Chip comes with a micro retina scan.If the original buyer doesn't scan his eyeball at least once a month
the chip releases a small amount of corrosive liquid (harmless to us) and..."poof"
Problem solved Imho

And for security reasons have Maxwell Smart
record buyers info directly. With his shoe.
Knowledge is all around us.
You just need to see it,hear it and pay attention
Pillar of the Community
Canada
860 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On collector coins, not necessary. On bullion coins, absolutely. Many people buy gold Maples in RCM tubes, at current prices that's close to $17,000 per tube. A little extra security would be welcome, as there plenty of gold Maple fakes out there.
Edited by 1cent
01/09/2017 12:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3393 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a end buyer, how would you know it's not a fake if the wholesaler is too cheap to buy the authenticating equipment, so many bullion dealers still don't have an hand held XRF.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2021 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets not laugh or dismiss anything here. It wasn't so long ago that everyone was laughing at the idea of
a third party grading coins.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2762 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A demonstration of the authentication process.

2hsLeJc3ky0
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1178 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  11:01 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my local gold and silver buyer has one of the machines, about 2 years now..it is only used for gold and silver maple leaf coins..
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05