Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Meaning of over printing on 1930-1 Japanese yen notes  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
46 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  8:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add phrenzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked the up in a folder at auction with everything from stamps to assignats, but I collect Japanese Meiji coins so the yen stood out.

None of the notes I looked up had the over printing though, is this a post war thing? A re-denomination? I'd be very great full for any info...

Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are Japanese Military Yen used in Hong Kong.
Pillar of the Community
United States
523 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These Japanese Army notes were also overprinted in English by the British in Hong Kong in late 1945, until new notes could be printed and furnished to the Colony. Chinese and regular Japanese notes were also used.

There is one Chinese note that was overprinted in December 1941 for emergency use, just two weeks before Hong Kong fell to the Japanese.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twinkinator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few of those notes as well and found little help in catalogs. I showed them to an elderly Japanese couple and family friend, and they said the 4 large red characters are something about "for military use only" as paxbrit said, but I wasn't aware of where they were issued for. Thanks for the info, paxbrit!
Australia
46 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add phrenzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I'm keeping them, but the 100 yen it doesn't quite fit the holder, are these with enough with the over printing to warrant main a special trip to get a larger holder for it?

I have a couple other over printed notes I'd be curious about amongst German notgeld and east African Bush money (also a little chillingly some mint Dutch concentration camp script).

I should compile it all into one thread, my main concern is how well I should protect it and if it's something rare enough to give some special attention.

Over prints and emergency issues are a bit of an interest to me as a history student. I'm still a coin guy but every time I see a hyperinflation note for a few dollars or revolutionary roubles at a couple dollars a piece I can't help myself.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twinkinator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen the 100 yen, but I think I have the 5 and 10 yen. I'm not sure of the value, but I would just ask your local store to let you know if they find a large enough holder. I recently picked up a few 2 pocket pages for some larger German and Russian notes, so that could be another option.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
964 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm learning Chinese and the first character on the top left is "hand" and the last one on the bottom right is "use" of the last note. I looked up the bottom left and it's "ticket". And the other is "Armed forces".

So, you have ticket hand use armed forces. Gotta love the grammar.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05