Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada 1943 1 Cent... Round vs. Oval dots?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1351 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  12:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been out of the game for a couple years and just saw an article with different pricing for a Canadian 1943 cent with oval vs round dots... there was a significant price difference. Is this a newly discovered variety?
Learn More...
Canada
6619 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What article are you referring to?

Oh yeah, and welcome back!!
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1351 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking up the Edmonton coin journal that referenced the starburst effect... it had a price guide with them in it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1351 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1351 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was also a price difference for 1955 denticles. But the price difference wasn't anything great.... but it was another variety I hadn't heard of.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2529 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much Con Chick for asking! Not long ago I read the same link as you, I think someone posted it here for another reason.

I'd never heard of the two types either.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1351 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. It was posted for the starburst effect...... I just skimmed through it a little more.
Edited by Coin Chick
01/10/2017 12:55 pm
Learn More...
Canada
6619 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:19 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh!! Welcome to Dean Silver's world... he is all about "dots"!! Jack (Pacificoin) also can reiterate all about this!!

Dean has been active in the past on CCF. Just look up the posts by 'bellmaker'

His images on eBay usually are accompanied by the watermark 'dts'. He also has a heat sealer and "grades" coins similar to ICCS fashion....

I admire his tenacity, but take his interpretation of intentional dots versus die chips and other phenomena with a grain of salt.

http://goccf.com/t/194135

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2710 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:29 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't bring me into this Roger!! ....no need to make me go Dotty on Dean........
Best to let sleeping dogs lie.
I looked at the article on " The Star Burst Varieties " in the Edmonton Journal ( they have an excellent bulletin BTW). There is a similar effect readily apparent on some 1938 Canada Five Cents and is often found on various dates of US Nickels .
Platinum Member ANA1127198
Edited by Pacificoin
01/11/2017 10:39 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2250 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SlurExe97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With it being referred to "oval colon dots" I'm incined to think die deterioration instead. Though without a visual it's no more than a guess.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1351 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder where the pricing chart was developed for it?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
539 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad you guys like the Planchet!

I agree with Slur - the oval dots are probably the result of die deterioration. As editor of the publication, I admit that I have no idea what the following would be for this variety, but if collectors are interested - Dean has put a value on it. It is what it is. Do you think a listing of coin variety prices should exclude die-deterioration varieties? A coin with this effect is interesting to find/enjoy?
Pillar of the Community
United States
972 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dean has been active on boards for years .. as SPP and Pacific said, he's really dotty. He finds them everywhere as then describes them as "new" varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1351 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scissel
I personally think a price list for those types of errors would be neat because you find numerous out there and in different grades.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
539 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your feedback Coin Chick.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2250 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SlurExe97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To each their own. I mostly ignore die deterioration unless it is eye-catching.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05