Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Update on my purchase of uncut sheet of $2 bills. Help!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  5:10 pm Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The tape is not nearly as bad as I thought, and somebody said he/she thought they were stars. They are! I paid $70 for all 4 sheets. Pretty good pick-up I say. Should I use isopropyl alcohol or acetone now?

ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to keep two notes in the frame for now. The other frame's glass was broken.
ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump.
ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2646 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VERY nice coin!!

If they were mine I would try a q-tip with a bit of alcohol and work of the tape spot.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2874 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Check AgCoinAu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
talk to an archivist, or museum director that can point you in the right direction to someone who fixes and repairs old papers and documents. They will tell you how to best deal with the note.
R.C.N.A. #23833
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6059 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would add that universities have archivists or access to them.

If you choose to try isopropyl alcohol -- don't use the stuff that's 90% because the rest is oil or something.

Nice pick up! Enjoy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to use what I have already: 100% acetone. I carefully removed the tape off, with a lot of tape residue left behind. Then, I used a q-tip dipped in acetone, which actually is working! More later.
ANA Member since 12/2015
Learn More...
United States
10473 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here was your original thread: Help needed on a purchase of uncut sheets of $2 bills!

In the future, please use one thread. We can edit the title to add "Updated"
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  01:16 am  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I unframed all the bills. I successfully removed all tape and residue without damaging any of the bills! I'm really happy about that! I will post pictures tomorrow of my work. The framed are ruined though, but I don't care.
ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know of a good place to buy frames and plastic protectors for these?
ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This time, I want to frame them correctly, not by using tape!
ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Michaels or Hobby Lobby (not sure where you are located) or a good craft store should have the ability to take care of your needs regarding framing.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13392 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps start with a reputable framing shop, some of which, in addition to offering frame and glass options, will assist you in framing it yourself at their premises.
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps start with a reputable framing shop, some of which, in addition to offering frame and glass options, will assist you in framing it yourself at their premises.

Yes, but that would run me more than the bills cost!

Here are some pics after conservation!

ANA Member since 12/2015
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it looks like the exposed sides yellowed a little. Any way to fix that?
ANA Member since 12/2015
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05