Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Arcadius AE3 - Reverse Unusual  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Brazil
57 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  6:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add prsferreira to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Friends, I did not find the reverse of this Arcadius coin in any catalog. Does anyone know the reference?

dimensions:
bronze, 15mm, 1,8mm

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@prsferreira, sorry that I don't know the answer to your question, but I do have a question of my own. Is that the normal reverse for this coin or did someone sand it flat and then add that pattern of cut marks? I just haven't seen something like this before, but it really isn't my area of collecting so maybe this is common?
"You'll never be old and wise if you're never young and foolish. So when I was young, I carefully strategized the ways that I could maximize my foolishness." --The most interesting man in the world
Valued Member
Brazil
57 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prsferreira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Friend, I've been collecting coins for a while now, and it's unusual for me too.
The reverse does not appear to have been injured by any tool. There is patina on it, plus a standard.
For that reason, I think it's really a kind of reverse. Unusual, of course.
Pillar of the Community
United States
783 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be provenctial? I have never seen this either.
Valued Member
Brazil
57 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prsferreira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I had not thought of that possibility, brenpickle.
However, it was found in lot from Syria.
It is probable!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2463 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The reverse does not appear to have been injured by any tool. There is patina on it, plus a standard.

Yes prsferreira, I hear what you are saying, but the rev of this coin seems more like a love token to me than a Roman coin. If so, then this damage could have been done prior to the patina forming on the coin.

By the way, @bob wrote a very informative post on desert patina here:

http://goccf.com/t/251229

"You'll never be old and wise if you're never young and foolish. So when I was young, I carefully strategized the ways that I could maximize my foolishness." --The most interesting man in the world
Learn More...
United States
19356 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse is a typical one for Arcadius, the reverse is very unusual and even unique. If the marks are raised as from being struck the only thing I can think of was that it might have been a test coin for the obverse strike. I would try and contact the British Museum send them a picture and see what they have to say.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1793 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  03:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a 5th century love token to me. Or, perhaps more likely, a button or other decoration of some kind (I don't think they did love tokens in the 5th century).

The existence of patina only means that the incisions were done before the patina could cover them up (i.e. probably in the 5th century; this presumably used to be the CONCORDIA AVGG reverse, Tesorillo 6, Esty 47 - as the only one that comes with a facing bust - and the dates for those are in the earliest years of the 5th century, so I'm fairly confident in attributing the damage to 5th century as well).

I have a 6th century pentanummium (the Genie of Antioch type) with patinated rectangular impressions on both sides. I have no idea what they were for (though most likely it was just a contemporary hole that patinated over so much that it closed), but I'm not calling it "unique" or anything similar.
Edited by january1may
01/11/2017 03:32 am
Valued Member
Brazil
57 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prsferreira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments, friends.
I learn a lot from you.
However, I am still not convinced that it is not a reverse type.
The constitution of the coin does not indicate that there was an earlier reverse, which would have been "erased" by the risks.
The coin has structurally the same shape as other currencies of the same period, thickness and rounding.
At the same time, opinions like january1may's and others's are important and parsimonious arguments to refine my position. Thank you for that.
Nevertheless, my tendency is to agree with echizento. In that regard, I wonder if it would not have been minted without one of the wedges. Indeed, it is very likely to be a "proof of the obverse."
I have many coins in my collection that were located in Syria, like this one, in batches. I have found other very peculiar pieces. Soon I'll post it to friends to help me understand it.
Once again, thank you very much.
Edited by prsferreira
01/11/2017 06:56 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05