Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Year, First Album: Jefferson Nickels  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  10:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, I received my Whitman Jefferson nickel album and it has officially been christened! This was the first:

Sorry for the glare:

Though stoic, he looked lonely so I added what I had set aside from some rolls a little while back:

That's the beginning and hope to update this thread as I make progress. Now I just need a box of nickels to get going!

Edit: this will be a circulation album, obviously.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."

-Carl Sagan
Edited by spruett001
01/10/2017 10:31 pm
Learn More...
United States
9684 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a good start. Looking forward to reports on your progress
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
16 holes filled, only 164 to go and upgrades to find.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."

-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6258 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Check CelticKnot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! You're gonna have a lot of fun with that.

I started my "from circulation" Jefferson set a few years ago and am still working on it, but closing in. And, mine's in a Whitman Classic too.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1874 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy New Year!

Looks like a great start to me.
Keep us posted.......
Pillar of the Community
United States
6398 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  02:14 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice start !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1072 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

An optimist would look at that and say, "That's a lot of holes to fill." A pessimist would look at that and say, "That's a lot of holes to fill."
ANA member #: 6565
- Lincoln wheat set complete sans matte & 1936 proofs; upgrading to MS as found.
- "BU" Jefferson set (MS-60 or better)in Air-Tites done. Improving to FS ongoing.
- Adding gold & misc to core sets of coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009.
-just starting WLH and Franklin sets!

Pillar of the Community
United States
545 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great project!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4718 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok , break a leg .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Learn More...
United States
39801 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking good!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3971 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! This is a great series to collect from circulation. I have an album as well, although I haven't done much searching in a while.
Collecting since 2007, roll hunting since 10/24/2015.----CRH Jefferson nickel progress: 162/176----Oldest circulation find: 1910 Wheat cent
ANA Platinum Member No. 3183942
"When we review the high and fanciful colorings given the past by its historymakers, their strained imaginings and contradictory statements, Numisma points to our coins and medals for truthful history." -Dr. George F. Heath, the Numismatist, Oct. 1891
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to go to the PO today and there's a bank right by it so I decided to get my first box. They were a little reluctant and told me they would do it "this time." But, considering I don't have an account at any bank around here, it was a crap shoot anyway.

Got it home and checked all the ends:

My first war nickel! Turned out to be a P. Not very pretty but I'll take it. Also, the oldest ender - 1941.

I only searched five rolls and wound up with quite a few dates/MMs set aside. Some of them are in poor shape.

Question: For the set I'm doing, would you fill an open hole regardless of condition and look for upgrades or would you hold out for a better one?

-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6258 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2017  12:54 am  Show Profile   Check CelticKnot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a killer box you got there and on that war nickel!

For a "from circulation" set I generally fill a hole when I have the chance(unless the coin is exceptionally roached) and upgrade when possible.
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2017  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I generally fill a hole when I have the chance(unless the coin is exceptionally roached)

That's kind of what I was thinking because, how would I know if something found later was better unless I kept the other? I have a few that look like they need acetone and/or Verdi-Care (I don't want to severely contaminate the album windows putting a grungy coin in).

-Carl Sagan
Learn More...
United States
39801 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2017  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My first war nickel! Turned out to be a P. Not very pretty but I'll take it. Also, the oldest ender - 1941.
Nice finds!
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2017  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jakes8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of many!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05