Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How many different S mint mark shapes are there on the 1943 quarter?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  09:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has any one compiled data on the different mint mark shapes for any years of Washington quarters? I have two varieties below are there more?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1040 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going by whats shown on varietyvista, two are known to have been used this year. The first of which is listed as ex rare. MMS-002 (trumpet tail) and MMS-003 (straight serifs).

Having difficulties finding more known examples of 1943's for comparison at this time.

Note: I'm not the expert of MM styles. Have found MM's have a tendency to distort during circulation so wait for an experts comments. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
01/11/2017 10:47 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2789 Posts
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what is my second one? I don't think it is a straight serif.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23900 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were mostly the Straight serif style for the 1943-S quarters:

This is called the MMS-003 mint mark punch.
There was one die that was different that year and it has a FS number:

With the circulation wear on your coin, it might not be known what it was?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/11/2017 6:21 pm
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see, well what I can see is that the top of the S curve does not proceed forward on mine as the other examples you have shown. mine is noticeably short of the bottom curve which I would question how possible could one of the serifs styles wear to that shape? Again wear back and wear off the top serif.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to me that one distinguishing factor is the inside of the bottom curve. One angles up much more. 003 does not have that upward sloping steep angle. Yours looks much closer to 002
Edited by Pete2226
01/11/2017 6:41 pm
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply coop. I appreciate this! I do see that. But again couldn't that be changed if the mark gets smash down? The whole mark is fatter, except for the front top outside curve where it is shorter and with out the serif. not like 002. Also the bottom outside of the ball end is angled upward not vertical. If started as an 002, I would assume the ball at the bottom would be even larger (taller due to the serif). If the whole mark got smashed wouldn't the top curve also be wider and taller compared to 002? Just like the bottom got distorted? I guess just trying to get answers so I will be better informed on my next coin I trouble you with! So far you have confirmed two good coins and confirmed 2 as nothing special for me. I do feel very confident at recognizing machine damage and die doubling from your help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1040 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe full images of obverse and reverse will help.

Though the MM images show heavy circulation so markers maybe worn away. Also markers would be pending the die state it was struck with as well. Thanks, Doug.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23900 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well there was only one die that was the MMS-002 for that year. So the location of the mint mark would have to be identical to be a match for 002. The MMS-003 the rest of the dies that year were these examples. So the locations will vary.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if thats the case then compare my location of mint mark with 003s and the 002. mine is closer to the location of the 002, more left of center and front angles back a little like 002.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1040 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well if thats the case then compare my location of mint mark with 003s and the 002.

Coop brought up a good point about MM location. I already took that into account, before asking for more images.

We have to take into account the MM and surrounding elements are a bit distorted from circulation. The MM location of yours and the location of the two examples MMS-002 images I've compared to, seem quite similar.

That said the location is similar to one MMS-003 as well. Thanks, Doug.
Edited by Halo1st
01/12/2017 1:00 pm
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go Doug, not much to look at.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1040 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 3193zd. Was hoping the full images might reveal more despite the circulation wear, but seems to be to worn for aiding in a positive ID.

If any of the three die cracks or other markers were originally present I can't positively ID them from the added pics. Thanks, Doug.
Edited by Halo1st
01/12/2017 4:51 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23900 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a match to MMS-002. The side by side shows they are in the same location. But to get it ID for sure, with the circulation it puts it in doubt.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
1040 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop for the side by side. I did overlays which seemed pretty spot on to me, but were not a worthy means of posting or illustrating to others.

I'm about ready to upgrade or down grade my PSE9 so I can add "straight" vector lines for similar illustrations. Thanks, Doug.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05