Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Small Cent Varieties!  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  12:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone.

I am just about finish with my 1956 to 2012 Canada Small Cent collection, but I had a few questions to determine if it is complete or not.

What I have been doing is collecting all the dates from 1956 to 2012 in BU Business Strike from Bank Roll, PL from Proof-Like Mint Sets in Cellophane, SP strikes from Specimen Sets, and PR from Proof Sets.

Below is the information that I have on my checklist, and I just want to confirm that it is accurate.

Here is a key: BS=Business PL=Proof-Like SP=Specimen PR=Proof

1956 to 1963: BS & PL
1964: BS, PL, SP
1965 V1: BS only
1965 V2: BS, PL, SP
1965 V3: BS & PL
1965 V4: BS only
1966: BS & PL
1967 to 1980: BS PL SP
1983 Far Beads: BS, PL, SP, PR (Have only found in BS)
1983 Near Beads: BS, PL, SP. PR (Have all four, I think).
1985 Pointed 5: BS only!

Edited by pasasap
01/11/2017 12:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wanted to add that I am having trouble determining rather I have Near Beads or Far beads in PL, SP, and PR. In these other minting processes the beads appear to be slightly father away that the BS Near Bead, but slightly closer than the BS Far Beads variety. If these other mint strikes actually exist and you have them, would you please post photos of the two varieties side by side in PL, SP, and/or PR. Thanks. :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1523 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
let me know if you need the 85 pointed 5, I have a fair number of these I have found roll hunting.
Valued Member
Canada
485 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add timnic44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So that is why I never found any 1985 pointed 5's roll hunting. You were finding them ace_ftw.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
817 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1965 V1 also can be found in proof like
Learn More...
Canada
6771 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  09:31 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have searched thousands of sets and have neither seen one, nor heard of one. But there are five listed in the ICCS population report...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2742 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  09:59 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2016 ICCS report shows 1965 P5 SB a total of six pieces all Heavy Cameo PL66 1 PL65 4 and PL64 1.
Best bet is probably all the same source ( along with all the Type 3 and 4 Proof like Silver Dollars) . Out the mints back door at midnight.
Platinum Member ANA1127198
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pasasap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going to answer everyone in one post.

First, thanks! ;)

I will add the V1 to the checklist in PL; although, it sounds like it will be one of those coins I get on accident because it sounds expensive. Is it also found in Specimen sets? I had it marked for SP, but was told that was incorrect.

I do not need 1965 V4 in Business Strike BU Red, I got that one already, but maybe you can help me with another question. I just purchased an original Montreal bank roll of 1965 pennies. There is a V2 on one side and a reverse showing on the other side. Is it worth cracking it open or leaving it closed? When you found the V4's, were they in rolls where all the coins were either V1 or V4 or did you find all four varieties? Are we talking about BU original bank rolls here? Do you know if the RCM shipped coin bags to banks with all four varieties inside or was each bag filled with only one type and the banks mixed them?
Edited by pasasap
01/13/2017 10:25 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
817 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Myself I have never found a roll of 1965 type 4 but the other rolls I have type 1 - 2 - 3 and they were all the same type in every roll I cracked open
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2742 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once bought almost a half roll of Type 4 Cents ( 22 or 23 as I recall) from Benny Lee in the early 1980s. The wrapper was a Bank of Montreal Winnipeg .
Only time I have ever had a quantity. Since this was pre grading service they were all sold in my store as BU and Choice BU. Does makes you wonder if they were all distributed in the Prairies.
As a young fellow in the 1960s found only 2 in change or rolls out here on the west coast.
Platinum Member ANA1127198
Pillar of the Community
Canada
817 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I might have found 2 or 3 type 4 in change and have never seen anyone or coin shop with rolls even the type 1 rolls are not common that I know of.

I purchased a roll of type 1 in a tube years ago from a e-bay seller in Washington state he had 5 rolls that he purchased in an Auction in the states all his were in tubes as well good roll found 3 MS-65's in it
Edited by papeldog
01/13/2017 1:07 pm
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2017  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SousNoir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello pasasap,

Did you check on Coins and Canada (CAC)?
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins...nt-1956-2012

Click on any date to see varieties for that year. The list on CAC is not complete.

When I started my collection (spring 2015), I used the CAC list to build my own checklist. At the time, my list had only business strike coins but it was soon expanded to PL sets as there are pennies strucks for PL sets only. For example, the 1998W penny was never struck for circulation.

As you are collecting proof strike pennies, you might like to add to your list the 2003 penny that was embedded in the 2003 RCM Annual Report. This penny, with the old effigy, has a Proof strike on a copper-plated zinc planchet with gold plated maple leaves on reverse. This is a very nice penny.

The Royal Canadian Mint printed 10000 reports with the embedded penny but they have distributed 7746 reports only according to their 2004 annual report. As far as I know, this 2003 penny is the lowest mintage ever produced by the Royal Canadian Mint for a regular sized penny. Retailers are selling the report with the coin for about 50$ CAD. I got mine at a cheaper price (40% less) last december from a retailer because the report cover was damaged. This penny may still be found at a cheap price for the mintage.

Dan

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05