Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Silver Dollar Pocket Pieces (Pics added)  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  11:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm thinking of starting a pocket piece of either a cleaned Morgan or Peace dollar. I've got a few candidates in mind, mostly ones that were good deals for melt or coins that I bought when I didn't know any better.

Does anyone have pictures of what such coins (these two series in particular) look like after significant time in your pocket?

Also, I'm a bit concerned about dropping or scratching whichever coin I choose. I know that it's likely not going to have much value over melt, but as a collector I'm still trying to wrap my head around the possibility of this happening.

Feel free to share any stories or advice!
Edited by The Silver Searcher
02/16/2017 12:00 am
Valued Member
South Africa
219 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add teslacoil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest starting of with fake dollar for about a month to test out how much you take it out and flip it, a month would be good to see your routine on how many scratches and dings you get on it, then you can decide on which to take Peace or Morgan.
I have a Morgan as a pocket piece and it has quite a few dings and scratches, it happens almost daily that I drop it, it will happen to yours as well, but if you test the waters before you choose one you will see how much it scratches up.
but if you don't want to I will suggest a Morgan dollar, just a better convo piece and she is much prettier than miss Zombie Peace lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
1344 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had this in my pocket for over a year now. Started out as AU

Taken Feb/2017
Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
12433 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A silver dollar is way too heavy for a pocket piece.
Use a 90% silver dime instead. - something like a 100 year old Barber dime in about Fine condition, where most of the design is obviously present.

If it has to be a silver dollar, a common date Morgan in the glovebox of the car is better than fraying the material and forming a hole in your pocket.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
812 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
silver dollar is way too heavy for a pocket piece.

Not if you keep it in your back pocket!
Working on a Dansco ASE 7181. 12 of 32
Pillar of the Community
United States
6943 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I carry 2 Morgan's and 2 Peace dollars sel plus a hand full of change as grinders and my pockets do ok
Full Pics of my Toned Avatar...
http://goccf.com/t/240873

Member: SSDC, ANA, PCGS, NGC, CAC
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have carried an 1883-O Morgan, 2013 ASE, and 1964 Kennedy half all at the same time along with other misc pocket change and keys with no issues.

The 2013 ASE usually goes in my wallet nowadays, the Morgan has been retired for the most part, and the only one that goes around in my pocket consistently every day now is a 1942 George VI Half Crown that had really nasty dark toning going on. I cleaned it up and it's much improved. It's only 50% Ag, but still makes a nice jingle.

So if you find a silver dollar or ASE too hefty, try something half dollar sized instead.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1924; Quarter 1940; Half 1964; Dollar 1971 (Canadian 1964)
Learn More...
United States
41960 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A silver dollar is way too heavy for a pocket piece.
But much more difficult to lose than a dime.
Valued Member
South Africa
219 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add teslacoil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's not pulling your pants down it's to light lol
I love the weight of heavy silver in my pocket
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  08:49 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use a Gobrecht dollar as a pocket piece like someone I knew did. It makes for more interesting conversation.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Larryh86GT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has been my pocket piece since 1997. Nice and shiny after 20 years.

Edited by Larryh86GT
02/17/2017 12:41 pm
Valued Member
South Africa
219 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add teslacoil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking Morgan there Larry!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

When I get home today, I'll go through the potential candidates and see where that gets me.

Pics, of course, will be posted
Edited by The Silver Searcher
02/17/2017 1:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We look forward to seeing who the potential candidates are and who the lucky finalist will be.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1924; Quarter 1940; Half 1964; Dollar 1971 (Canadian 1964)
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JBNickels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I call those pieces MS70 Weak Strikes, not pocket pieces ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1449 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what 170 years in the pocket will do

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05