Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Check out this PCGS mistake - 1803 dollar  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
441 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  10:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been tracking this silver dollar and I'm pretty sure it wasn't originally listed with this correction. I've never seen this happen before.

Quote:
Incorrectly identified by PCGS as a Small 3, the upper left serif of the digit 3 being absent on the true Small 3 variety.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-doll...dLots-101116
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Well, not really. That's just something I tell myself because I ask so many.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2017  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its clearly B-6. Have a look at Reiver. Even if you got the 3 wrong, you can't miss the diebreak to the right of D in United nor can you miss the lump to the right (under) of E in United. Good for them. It means they actualy take care with the attribution and don't just pass on the mistake.

Or it could be they listed it and someone that knows these just looked for the markers, didn't see them, attributed it correctly, and sent them a note. A wrong attribution would void the sale as it violated the genuineness guarantee.

I haven't seen this before, either, but I can't believe with all the coins HA handles and all the attributions, that this hasn't happened before.

Here is my 1803 Bolender-6
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Edited by Andrew99
02/17/2017 08:23 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12113 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't seen what happen, PCGS mess up an attribution or that the auction house would point out the error? The top 2 TPG's mess up attributions all the time, the three lesser major services typically less often. But a good rule of thumb is to NEVER trust a TPG attribution, always confirm it yourself.

Quote:
A wrong attribution would void the sale as it violated the genuineness guarantee.

No it wouldn't because the coin is still genuine. An online bidder who has not had the chance to view the lot in person could get the sale canceled under section 47 of the terms of sale,

47. In the event of an attribution error, Auctioneer may at its sole discretion, correct the error on
the Internet, or, if discovered at a later date, to refund the buyer’s purchase price without further
obligation.

But if they have viewed the lot then Coins and Currency terms C and D would apply

COINS and CURRENCY TERM C: Bidders who have inspected the lots prior to any Auction, or
attended the Auction, or bid through an Agent, will not be granted any return privileges, except
for reasons of authenticity.

COINS and CURRENCY TERM D: Coins sold referencing a third-party grading service are sold
“as is” without any express or implied warranty, except for a guarantee by Auctioneer that they
are genuine. Certain warranties may be available from the grading services and the Bidder is
referred to them for further details: Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC), P.O. Box 4776,
Sarasota, FL 34230, http://www.NGCcoin.com/services/wri...arantee.asp; Professional
Coin Grading Service (PCGS), PO Box 9458, Newport Beach, CA 92658, http://www.PCGS.com/
guarantee.html; ANACS, 6555 S. Kenton St. Ste. 303, Englewood, CO 80111; and Independent
Coin Grading Co. (ICG), 7901 East Belleview Ave., Suite 50, Englewood, CO 80111.

Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  11:03 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know, maybe you're right. If I buy an B-4 from HA and its really a B-6 maybe they'd say it is on me if it could have been determined from the hi res photos. Still, I get the feeling HA would refund and list it again, correctly even if they had to take a hit over it. How much is their reputation worth anyway?
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Haven't seen what happen, PCGS mess up an attribution or that the auction house would point out the error?

I haven't seen heritage correct a listing. I'm fairly certain the correction wasn't included in the original listing. Someone must have caught the error and pointed it out.
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Well, not really. That's just something I tell myself because I ask so many.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05