Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1925 Australia Penny Grade and Value Please  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  01:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add keepcalmandcoinon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. I came across this coin recently and have been struggling with what to grade it or to figure out a fair market value for it. Unfortunately, and painfully, it has some serious corrosion problems. Also looks like it may have been cleaned. Can anyone please help me out with this one. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
710 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  02:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You wouldn't happen to have any Verdi-Care lying around, would you?

If it had a proper acetone and/or Verdi-Care treatment, it seems it could go for $80+.

As it is, you might get less than half of that.

I'm not an expert, but I've seen what those preservation methods can do and a good eBay search gives me a general idea of going prices.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."

-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keepcalmandcoinon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got acetone, no Verdi-Care though. I'm going to soak it in acetone tomorrow.

I was searching eBay as well, and I was seeing examples in the same condition, but with no corrosion go for $700+, and examples graded around vf20 with corrosion go for around $100. And then I also see the same go for half that. It's a very confusing market on this coin.
Does anyone think a grading would benefit this coin? I would have to go through a local coin shop who charges $50 per coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
6973 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  05:14 am  Show Profile   Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lack of wear on the band and jewels on the crown seems to inconsistent to the amount of wear on the rest of the coin to me.
I am far from being a penny expert But this one has my inner alarm bells ringing and this IS a heavily counterfeited coin.
I will await the opinions of the many more learned Aussie collectors here on this one
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Valued Member
Australia
430 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone think a grading would benefit this coin? I would have to go through a local coin shop who charges $50 per coin.

No,mate,just my opinion but that Coin is stuffed,even with a cleanup you will be struggling to sell it period but maybe $20-$50 on eBay. Good Luck.
Valued Member
Australia
115 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If it were mine I'd soak it in WD40.
However it probably too late.
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keepcalmandcoinon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echidna- Probably is. If only I had it 40 years ago I mightve been able to save it.
Basil- Thanks, I was thinking the same but wanted more opinions.
Trout1105- I was thinking it has the normal amount of wear throughout for a VF, based off of TDKAPDC grading guide. What spots are you seeing? Maybe I have a biased eye right now and am hoping to see a higher grade.
Valued Member
Australia
169 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a shame! Without the verdigris I would grade it EF. I have seen them in this sort of condition selling for $50-$100. With six strong pearls and a strong centre diamond I would be giving it a soak in extra virgin olive oil for a month or two just to make it look a bit better, although I fear it may be too far gone and won't improve value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
6973 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What spots are you seeing

The "Bands" on the crown seem almost devoid of wear and yet the two jewels are completely missing/worn down.
Also the general wear on the rest of the coin doesn't match the state of preservation that the bands on the crown are in.
This strikes me as "Odd" as the bands and the jewels on this obverse design are normally the first parts of the coin that is affected by circulation wear.
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keepcalmandcoinon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Airgem, yea it's a bit of a bummer. But still cool to have such a scarce coin right now.
Trout1105, ok thanks KS for pointing that out. I'll do some more research and asking around and see what I can come up with about it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05