Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1845 1C, N-1, R-4 grade/attribution needed. Would TPG still grade/attribute/slab a jewelry piece?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2286 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  04:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I need the grade for this large cent factoring its use as a jewelry piece.

Also, would PCGS still slab this coin and designate a grade with a details designation-jewelry piece?

Likewise, if I request their attribution services, would I be wasting my money and risking the possibility that they would return me the raw coin with nothing having been done because it's a jewelry piece etc.?

I just do not want to send this coin in to the TPG asking for all of these services knowing that a possibility exists that they will still charge me and I will not get anything to show for my money sent to them...

I am going to copy this same post to the classic coin variety section since I worked on this coin to determine that it is an N-1, R-4 using Penny Prices, 2014, 3rd edition having pricing of:

VF-30: $ 150,
XF-40: $ 275 and
XF-45: $ 750

In summary, would the members doing the grading respond to as much as they are expected to do and the members skilled in attribution confirm my findings and also opine on any other aspect of this post.

thx
Pillar of the Community
United States
2286 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1444 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic_student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, scratched, questionable color. I don't see it being bodybagged b/c of damage from being used as jewelry.
numismatic_student aka CoinNerd
Wanna trade? View my Want List and items for trade: http://coinnerdtrading.blogspot.com/
CoinNerd's Type Set: http://coinnerdtypeset.blogspot.com/
Edited by numismatic_student
02/17/2017 08:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6021 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  08:54 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF details, damaged ex jewelry. Too much wear above the ear for AU imho. Not worth sending in, again imho.

edit. Might make AU details, reverse could carry it.
Edited by edweather
02/17/2017 08:56 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12738 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't argue.
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Pillar of the Community
Canada
8781 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-45 Details.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4650 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF details, cleaned & scratched. It would just come back XF details, although you could have it attributed on the holder.

One thing to remember is that Penny Prices is using EAC strict grading, so that $750 XF45 is an EAC 45 full net grade, the type of coin you would usually see in a PCGS or NGC AU55-AU58 holder. Applying EAC grading standards, this coin has VF35 sharpness but would have a substantially lower net grade, probably 10-12 at the highest, due to the cleaning and scratches, and R4 scarcity does not command a significant premium; it would be priced as a VG-F coin in Penny Prices in my opinion.
Adam (Paralyse)
ANA #3181967 - EAC #6338 - TNA - SSDC L/M
Washington 25c - Colonials - Early Copper - Morgans - VAMs...
Edited by paralyse
02/17/2017 10:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1914 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Paralyse.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10545 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2017  10:28 am  Show Profile   Check IndianGoldEagle's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 details
Closing eCrater store http://usn6771.ecrater.com/index.php All prices reduced.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5359 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2017  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it might make XF45. I dont think it would be body bagged however it would receive a details designation
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05