Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hi everybody is this outrageous die rot ? It affects everything  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
147 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  1:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Iwannado to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5239 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a plating issue not dry rot or zinc rot .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18010 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is die rot? Never heard of it. Plating issue and a minor MAD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 4+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2632 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is die rot? Never heard of it.

I think they mean Zinc rot.

I don't think dies last long enough to rot.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18010 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any zinc rot on the op's coin. Dies don't rot but they do rust.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 4+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1330 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since condition is similar overall, it would be a planchet flaw, plating/annealing problem. Has to do with heating/cooling...too much heat, too fast cooling, situations like those.

Coin has the pox!
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe OP meant die deterioration doubling? I see some hints of it on the obverse, but it's everywhere on the reverse: on all of the text and along the memorial as well.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2017  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jovian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bubbles aside, you do have a Die Crack from the rim under the FG into the base of the memorial. Also there is something going on directly under the memorial, this may be a crack of other wear. Also split plate above "TED STATES", the left edge of the memorial and DDD above E Pluribus Unum. This coin is loaded with worn die problems...Cool.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2017  01:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could the bubbles be an "orange peel" affect?

Bad rinse job before plating?
Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05