Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1864 L RPD or DD error?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  1:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rpuckett to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Still going through my collection. I came across this 1864 L that I was going to send in for grading. When examining the pics it seems to be doubled on the feathers, lettering and date. I need help identifying this coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
774 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the America and bust , I would say MD, the date looks a little bit like a true DD, but with the presence of an MD already there, I would say probably all MD....
BTW nice scarcer coin.
Edited by BigSilver
02/17/2017 2:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add indian_hoarder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubling on the legend, that is part of the design.

This is a Snow 4, 1864/1864. Don't bother sending in to grade, it won't. It has been cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
711 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beaglebailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree your coin is an S4 with repunching on all 4 digits in the date. According to Snow this is a scarce variety especially in the higher grades.

It is not a doubled die, it is a RPD (repunched date)
Edited by beaglebailey
02/17/2017 2:40 pm
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rpuckett to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My coins have been in glass tubes for many years. They were my grandmothers that she started collecting when she was 6. She's 103 now. As for cleaning it, it wasn't me and if it was it was done many many years ago. So if its a scarce variety, should I send it in for grading? Indian Horder says no.?
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add indian_hoarder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you really want it in a holder that says "genuine, not gradeable". Or you could go ANACS, they would put a grade on it and "cleaned".

It is your coin, do what you wish. I don't see you adding any value to it getting it graded.

Here is a solid original G6 - VG8 for auction. Why not watch this and decide what to do after it sells.

Edited by indian_hoarder
02/17/2017 4:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11390 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree S-4, but it's difficult to assess the surfaces because of the flashback. Can you try again and shoot from a slight angle, perhaps, to diminish this effect.

to the CCF!
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rpuckett to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some images taken at an angle. I hope it helps. I think this is a better grade than g4-v8. Your thoughts?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05