Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 CC Morgan ... To good to be true? Counterfeit?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  08:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add timer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hear there are a lot of fake 1892 CC Morgans out there. This one is on eBay now. Any Morgan experts out there that can tell if this is authentic or fake?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2829 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My standard response.
For a coin with that price and potential value I want it slabbed.
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AU90o to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
C3b rev with slanted date - this is VAM-11, so imo it's real, not counterfeit.
And, I also agreed with kanga's statement. There are many cleaned coin out there, and you can play around with the lighting to concealed that fact from the photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7843 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks genuine to me. The images make it look like a $2000 to $3000 coin so be careful.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12070 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks good to me as well, but the advice above is sound.
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Pillar of the Community
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me, but all I have to go by is an eBay photo and the vendor's word. Come to think of it, that's all you have, too. For the money, I'd spend it on a slabbed and guaranteed coin. Unless the vendor is willing to allow unconditional returns, give it a pass or accept the risk.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1257 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is strange that someone would fake this coin since it is not worth all that much compared to a 1889CC or 1893CC. If you are going to peddle a fake make it
an expensive one. An 1879CC is worth a lot and an 1884CC in MS64 is worth only $250. Morgans are crazy cause if you look at 1899 with mintage of just 330,00 you can
get one in MS65 for less than $1000. I have eight to go to fill my set and I have stopped wondering because everyone has a story.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TMCD75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Terry, would you ever consider posting pictures of your set on here? I'd sure love to see it and I'm sure others would too!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks real to me but I would never buy it raw based on photos unless I knew the seller or dealer very well.

1892-CC is a tough date in grades above AU and this looks like a mid-grade MS with semi-PL surfaces.
Adam (Paralyse)
ANA #3181967 - EAC #6338 - SSDC L/M
Washington 25c - Colonials - Early Copper - Morgans - VAMs...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05