Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scans vs photos of 1880 gold half eagle  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  11:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The difference is pretty remarkable. Is there any way to adjust the scanner so the luster is properly reflected?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28240206722....m1555.l2649
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12233 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is the downside to scanning coins- the technology cannot image luster like film or digital imaging.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
931 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There should be a tone adjustment control that comes up,with the image on Your photo library, but You would be artificially coloring Your image, but at least it would look more life-like.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are now three sets of pics on the new listing for the same coin: Scanner, Cheap Camera 1 and Cheap Camera 2. Which works best?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1880-5-00-G...82410872834?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5772 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Check ChildOfTheWheat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks cleaned to me imo

EDIT: Just saw the new photos on the second listing... WOW thats quite a difference! For those viewing this thread in a few months or even years, here are the pics.

Original listing photos/scans:

New photos:

Looks like it may have been wiped at some point, but it still the coin isn't even CLOSE to as bad as I though it was!
Just my humble opinion.
Remember: Change is good, especially when it's a Wheat penny
ANA Number 3181904
Edited by ChildOfTheWheat
03/26/2017 10:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1496 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2017  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On your camera photos, you may want to try a background of white, black or grey. Your camera photos are tinting the coin the color of the background. None of the photo are going to help you sell the coin. Camera 1 - your light is hot spoting. Camera 2 - the lighting is better and shows a little luster on the coin, but the coin has a green tint from your background.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ... I see the green tint now. In real life you can see that the coin hasn't been cleaned. It is, in truth, gorgeous. I just don't have the ability to photograph it properly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1461 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the original picture. For a raw 1880 half eagle it's adequate. Slabbed AU's are selling at about $350. Bullion sets the price. Enhancing luster is not necessarily helpful unless the coin is slabbed MS.

If you want dramatic detail use cross lighting. A scanner can't do that.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
04/01/2017 12:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Check Dual-brain's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dual-brain to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you please explain cross lighting?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1461 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2017  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My avatar picture used room light plus a low angle flashlight to pick up the hair details. Here it is bigger.

The 1921 is an MS62 in a slab. It's easier to do on a raw coin. Here's an AU 1925.

Both of these coins have cartwheel luster. But I'm more interested in the sharpness of strike than the luster, so have not attempted to enhance it.

To show the gold tone on the 1921 I needed to tilt it and move the flashlight. Now the luster starts to show. But the shadow on the details goes away.

It's pretty amazing what the new iPhones (1921 shots) can do vs the old ones (1925).
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
04/01/2017 1:34 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05