Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I think I have a 1992 D Double die on the date.  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  1:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lelah to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am learning how to spot these things, and if I did spot this and I am right. I'm stoked. Um if it is, then how much would this be in this excellent condition but a circulated coin? Please help thank you.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a Double die, and posting it multiple times, will not make it become one.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lelah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. I thought I just posted it in the wrong section. That was rude. Sorry I'm new here
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry if you thought it was rude, it was meant to be a friendly comment. Sorry it wasn't taken that way.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9683 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lelah, ..to CCF enjoy your stay with us, all we ask is that you review the rules and everything will be...
True North
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lelah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. With all the stuff on this site. It can be quite confusing for newbies. Thanks everyone. Glad I was able to get feed back though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lelah, I haven't seen your other posts, so I don't know if you got an answer. It isn't a doubled die. What you're seeing there is die deterioration doubling. As a die gets to the later stages of its life, letter can appear doubled towards the rim.
Valued Member
Canada
497 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Druu says Under magnification it will look like this

Bedrock of the Community
United States
13975 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDD is often mistaken for die doubling but it's not.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
03/20/2017 9:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lelah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay so how can you really tell with double die. I am trying to really see this error. But it's hard
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23623 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note how the deterioration is flat looking?

It may look raised. But compared with a doubled die, the devices should be raised as much as the other normal size devices:
1955P-1DO-001:

1972P-1DO-001

Note the differences?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stop and focus on the die flow. Does it seem raised or flow towards the rim? Another indicator of die deterioration doubling. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lelah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank u
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad this come up again,As I'm still confused with doubling myself. So if the "doubling" North and South that would indicate a true doubling? But east and west that point towards the rim is MD? Thanks for your response,Sorry about hijacking the thread!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23623 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually the die deterioration is towards the rims. Often the MD can be on the central side of the devices, but not always the case. (there are no rules for MD) The hub doubling creates an extra device that is hubbed on the die. MD is a strike issue. Die deterioration is die wear issue. So they are all different. Hub doubling can be in different directions as there are 9 classes of doubled dies. Created by hub miss alignments, hub distortion and incorrect hubbing location on the dies better multiple bubbings/snap into the correct position during the hubbing process. This a a deep subject. It will take times to get all the different classes of doubled dies down in your head. But know what could happen, is where you look to find doubled dies.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm still confused with doubling myself. So if the "doubling" North and South that would indicate a true doubling? But east and west that point towards the rim is MD?

The way I look at it,

DD - happens at the dies creation. Could be North, South, East or West.

MD - happens at the time of the strike. Remember the die is normal. Its is more of a machine operation issue. Again can show in any direction until the problem is noticed and corrected.

DDD - happens towards the end of the dies useful life from continual use it wears the die(s) down. It will begin to show the effect on the side of the device(s) in LDS - VLDS. Generally shows up first on the side facing towards the closest rim as the die ages and nears retirement. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05