Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why/When to Join a Coin Club  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  6:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been collecting for a few years now and am starting to consider coin clubs, but I don't really know what a coin club offers or any of that other than the opportunity to meet other collectors. I've asked around, but never really seemed to get a straight answer other than join ANA or something of the like. What I really want to know about are clubs that are local and host events from time to time and meetings every month. Is it worth it? Thanks in advance.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
341 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The real answer to your question probably depends on where you are. I looked into this as well, and neither of the local club offerings really appealed to me.

I'm in San Francisco, where there are apparently two clubs in my city. (There are others in the Bay Area, but not local enough to interest me.) As I recall, one of the local clubs meets quarterly at a large-ish gathering on some weeknight, where the topics are on the high end (e.g. ancients). The other club meets monthly at a restaurant in a residential area, around lunchtime on a weekday, when it would be virtually impossible for me to go (I'm not a foodie either, so this sort of meeting would be challenging).

I would also like to know what some clubs have to offer. I might be persuaded to look at other "local" clubs, or even the two I mentioned if my perceptions are minor or incorrect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5753 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Check ChildOfTheWheat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in a small town outside of Omaha, NE and (when I dont have work) I travel 30 minutes to attened the Omaha Coin Club. For how large Omaha is, we really are a small group. Only about 30-40 people attened, and its usually all the same people attending. Mostly older people (not trying to be offensive, I'm only 16 so everyone seems old to me).

Someone brings treats to every meeting, and another person brings pop and coffee. We start off with the business meeting, conclude that, and then move on to the silent auction for about 15 minutes. After that, we move on to the main event. Sometimes we have programs, live auctions, members only shows, or sometimes we just watch a video about collecting. I really like going, and I'm glad I joined.
Just my humble opinion.
Remember: Change is good, especially when it's a Wheat penny
ANA Number 3181904
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tylosaurus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey I'm 16 as well that's pretty neat that someone is my age on here. I will probably join a local club going off what you just said.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1297 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add terry8835 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The club in my city is miles from my home and involves night driving in a not so good part of town. I just don't like that idea. The idea of a coin club really appeals to me, however. I like to talk about coins and show mine to others and maybe do some trading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6802 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clubs offer camaraderie that simply isn't possible, even at shows, otherwise.

Mentors are available in numerous fields. Trading is possible. Showing your prizes and getting first hand examinations by knowledgeable people is enlightening.

Selling and buying in a no pressure environment is wonderful.

Learning is tantamount rather than big people showing how much better their collections are.

Find a good club and make sure any future romantic partner knows that you will be busy on the last Tuesday of every month forever.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3948 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are no local coin clubs around me so I decided to join various coin groups, I wrote down all the ones that publish a journal/newsletter.

I joined the Barber Coin Collectors Society because a member here recommended one of my stories for publication in 2015. I have enjoyed reading about others' interests.

Last year I stepped it up and joined EAC, C4, SPMC, NSCA, LSCC, PMCM. Their newsletters/journals have expanded my knowledge.

If you want to learn about an area-- before shelling out big $$ on coins--consider join a specialty club the cost of membership is affordable.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Knowledge, experience, and....and....

As has been discussed about any subject, become a subject matter expert on what you collect. Or, at least gain as much knowledge as you possibly can.

What better way, then immersing yourself with similar?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12365 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A coin club can be a good idea, but it can depend on what the club is "into". I'm a member of four local clubs. All have their social side but one of them has some interest in education and has produced some good numismatists and three ANA Presidents. Another is pretty much geared solely around the monthly auction (100 to 150 lots, values from a couple dollars up to around $500) and has little to no interest in education. A third was just social, small and not much attendance until I took over the newsletter and took it from a one page announcement of the next meeting to a six to eight page thing with pictures commentary and articles. Attendance is now growing.

I will say that you will get more out of it if you are ACTIVE in the club and try to put something into it. If you just sit there you may learn some things, but you will get a lot more out of it is you ask questions and volunteer to help out. I will say that clubs are always in need of people willing to step up and help and even being a newbie if you are active don't be surprised if they try to get you to be one of the officers. Most clubs have a real problem getting people to run for office and the same people tend to wind up serving year after year. That isn't good because you do need new people and new ideas to rotate in and out.

And I know what you mean about being the young guy there. I joined my first club when I was 15, That was 41 years ago. By the time I was 20 I was running the State Coin Show. I've been the Secretary for three of the clubs, been writing articles for one newsletter for twenty years and publishing one of them for ten years, and started publishing another one last year. So remember the more you put into it, the more you can get out of it.
Edited by Conder101
03/21/2017 09:30 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15605 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately by me it is just not safe to join coin clubs or almost anything similar. We do have lots and lots of coin shows all around the area so coin clubs are just not practical. It is rather sad that even going to a coin show you have to be careful around here. Must watch who is leaving when you do and checking to see if your being followed. Have to have security guards all over the place at coin shows and even in the parking lots. People I've talked to about coin clubs tell me they too are afraid to join one since you just don't know who is who and what they are there for. I'll just stick to coin shows.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4330 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My father was in the military, and the base had a monthly coin club meeting and he took me with him. Mind you, this was 50+ years ago, but I still remember: Meeting other coin collectors, seeing other people's coins, the auction, and.....door prizes!
Learn More...
United States
41940 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CCF is my coin club.

That being said, I have never felt much of a need to join a real "go there in person" club. This is probably because I get enough personal interaction at coin shows.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
965 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I joined our local coin club over 10 years ago, partly at the suggestion of a local dealer. I am not much of a joiner, which is why I resisted for so long.

I have make some good friends and acquaintances. I particularly like some of the presentations, as some of our members have an almost scholarly knowledge of their subject. Our last one was on Gun Money, and I was the one who introduced this guy to it! We also have trading and selling, all rather informal, and host some major conventions from time to time.

That being said, I am not going to pretend that it is all perfect. When there are people, there is the potential for conflict, but at the moment I am still having fun.

Of course, as someone mentioned, every club is different, so you really must go as a visitor and see for yourself if you like it or not. If you don't like it, wait a year or two and see if it has changed.

Someone pointed out that you have to be active, which is true. I was secretary for a few years; now I handle the door prizes and 50/50 draw.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05